Honored Contributor

How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

Was just looking on Google about this. No way could I make 26 outfits out of 8.  At least it's not something I've ever tried. How about you? Overpack or not?? Emergency outfits for bad weather or at least one extra in case of? My husband loves that sentence, "in case of". LOL

What hints do you have?

Respected Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

Overpacker here too. I pack to cover every possible contingency. I haven't mastered the art of making many outfits from a few basic pieces.
Respected Contributor

Re: How do you NOT overpack for a trip/vacation? How many outfits, shoes, etc.???

take your old underwear and throw it away after you wear it.

Super Contributor

I say, stuff as much as you can into your suitcase because "you never know" what might come up or what you are going to feel like wearing.  Unless you are spending a lot of money (air travel) for overweight suitcases, load them up!  There's no harm, really, and you eliminate the stress of potentially not having the right outfit for a certain occasion. 

Esteemed Contributor

I "tripped" to the islands back in March for over 2 weeks. While we were having cold weather here, it was tough thinking warm weather there.

I wore one pair of jeans, but took another that ended up to be not needed. I took mostly warm weather things, limited bottoms, 2 dresses for our fancy outings, short sleeve tops. I left most of my hair things at home, which I was reluctant to do, but there was not an inch left in my bag. It was the shoes that got me! They took up a lot of space!

I ended up not wearing one pair at all. I ended up not wearing one color (outfit) at all. We rented houses, so we were able to wash things, so that was really good!

We relied on UPS to mail our souveniers back home. I was able to mail some of the cool weather things back, too. (I had to wear a sweater coat when we started out.)

When we got to the 2nd island, I shipped another box home.

I know I overpacked, but in my case I was packing for all kinds of weather.

Have fun, and don't take 2 of anything! (Except shoes! That's the biggest nusiance!)

Respected Contributor

I like to pack light. I hate hauling around a bunch of stuff and packing and unpacking. If you pack tops and bottoms that you can wear together it makes packing light a lot easier. The website Outfit Posts has examples of creating lots of different outfits with items one suitcase.

Honored Contributor

Harpa, right on target! I just took 3-4 pair of shoes out. What was I thinking!?

Trusted Contributor

It's not the clothes and shoes that take up so much room in my suitcase........it's my skiincare stuff, hair dryer, the 4 different brushes I use to style my hair.  Then there is the hair styling products.  And let's not forget, a MUST have for me is my lighted, magnified mirror.  All that stuff alone takes up a whole suitcase!!  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't have any secrets or tips.

We usually vacation in warm weather climates, the beach.  We're in swim suits all day and something casual for dinner.  I might bring one or two nice maxi dresses or skirts. 

I lay everything out on the bed and then start eliminating things.  I hate overpacking, lugging all that stuff around, and then coming home to a ton of laundry. 

I do neutral bottoms and bright tops.  I have a friend who only wears black or white on vacation.  I think it's funny, but she always looks very chic.  Everything always matches.  LOL

I'm packing today for our vacation.  We'll see how well I do!

Esteemed Contributor

If it's to heavy for me to haul downstairs then I redo it. Only one extra pair of shoes. No hairdryer, extra skincare stuff, only travel sizes. Unless you are going to a third world country, you can find someplace to buy just about anything.