Honored Contributor

Re: How can I avoid seeing posts by a poster?

@tansy wrote:

@dooBdoo -- I tried it with one particular poster but people would quote her so it was basically useless anyway.

@tansy  Good point!

Respected Contributor

You have to learn to walk away. There are certain posters who don't respond to me, and that's okay. I respect that. There are certain posters that I avoid as well.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Valued Contributor

Oh boy. Something tells me my reply will *not* be popular. That's okay. I think i've got thick enough skin and broad enough shoulders, otherwise i'd pass on this one.

I really never saw the need for an "ignore feature" and still don't after all these years. (I've been chatting online for just about twenty years now at various sites and on various formats.) I remember back in the day when Yahoo introduced Voice Chat! Wahooo!!! Great discussions late at night! But i digress.

It takes a lot for someone to really get under my skin. But when i no longer want to read somebody, my eyes just skip past their comments and move on to someone else's reply. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Life is good.

Even when it comes to posters with whom i might generally disagree, just give it to me, and i'll decide whether or not i want to read it. You never know when you might learn something. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SuesCat wrote:

Oh boy. Something tells me my reply will *not* be popular. That's okay. I think i've got thick enough skin and broad enough shoulders, otherwise i'd pass on this one.

I really never saw the need for an "ignore feature" and still don't after all these years. (I've been chatting online for just about twenty years now at various sites and on various formats.) I remember back in the day when Yahoo introduced Voice Chat! Wahooo!!! Great discussions late at night! But i digress.

It takes a lot for someone to really get under my skin. But when i no longer want to read somebody, my eyes just skip past their comments and move on to someone else's reply. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Life is good.

Even when it comes to posters with whom i might generally disagree, just give it to me, and i'll decide whether or not i want to read it. You never know when you might learn something. Heart

I feel the same way about my choice not to use it, @SuesCat. However, I've learned over time that not everyone feels the same way and if there is an "ignore" feature we have the choice to use it or not.   With the feature missing, no one has a choice.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Just a thought re: the Ignore button -

If say, for example, you often tangle in threads with a particular poster or two, and you feel that they are gunning for you - it's true that if you have them on Ignore you won't see their posts, but if they have directed a very rude, very insulting and inappropriate, clearly (and I mean clearly, no doubts about it) personally nasty post to you specifically, in  good part *because* you have them on Ignore, wouldn't you want to report it? True, others *might* report it, but then again they might not, and a truly ugly insult would bw lying there for all to see.

The real issue wouldn't even be that you were angered, hurt or insulted by the post, and the poster, but that they *got away with it*, and will surely continue to do it, if you don't see it. I think this *might* be a tiny part of the reason QVC doesn't want Ignore back - because no one should be able to do that.

Interesting points, @Moonchilde.  I never thought of it that way.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

You have to learn to walk away. There are certain posters who don't respond to me, and that's okay. I respect that. There are certain posters that I avoid as well.

Not responding is the adult thing, which most of us aspire to but don't always manage. But when you walk away and someone continues not just to disagree with you, but to deliberately poo on you, you may still walk away, but it's good to know there are options :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

That's just the thing, it is not always so easy peasy.. This is my opinion. When I read a thread, I read straight down, one answer after another. I don't turn my eye to the left for each post to see who it is. For me, that it very annoying. Easier to have the ignore button. This is how I feel. @SuesCat

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Just a thought re: the Ignore button -

If say, for example, you often tangle in threads with a particular poster or two, and you feel that they are gunning for you - it's true that if you have them on Ignore you won't see their posts, but if they have directed a very rude, very insulting and inappropriate, clearly (and I mean clearly, no doubts about it) personally nasty post to you specifically, in  good part *because* you have them on Ignore, wouldn't you want to report it? True, others *might* report it, but then again they might not, and a truly ugly insult would bw lying there for all to see.

The real issue wouldn't even be that you were angered, hurt or insulted by the post, and the poster, but that they *got away with it*, and will surely continue to do it, if you don't see it. I think this *might* be a tiny part of the reason QVC doesn't want Ignore back - because no one should be able to do that.

Interesting points, @Moonchilde.  I never thought of it that way.

@dooBdoo, when we did have an Ignore feature, the only time I used it was for 1-2 posters who make a career out of both baiting and being personally insulting. If I didn't see their posts, I couldn't be baited. This was all well and good, but I would then have people quoting things the posters said about/to me personally, so I saw it anyway - and they were the type of things that are, on these newly moderated boards, very clear no-nos and very deletable.

If posts like that are allowed to stand, wholesale, because people aren't seeing them, then more and more posters would feel free to take things back to the atmosphere of the unmoderated forums, and it could snowball into the sometime-snake pit it used to be. That would be more work than the moderators could keep up with ;-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Sometimes just seeing someones nicname that we know belongs to a person who is no good - a person who has repeatedly posted ridiculous falsehoods about you or others can bring about a wave of nausea.  Of course the mods never take that into consideration.   

Honored Contributor

@truffle wrote:

Sometimes just seeing someones nicname that we know belongs to a person who is no good - a person who has repeatedly posted ridiculous falsehoods about you or others can bring about a wave of nausea.  Of course the mods never take that into consideration.   

Although I understand how you feel, @truffle, the moderators might not know unless they get clear reports of the offending posts including a request that they watch the patterns of a certain poster after numerous attacks.