Honored Contributor

Re: How Many Second Chances Should A Cheater Get

I will forgive (this is taking care of myself as anger only hurts the angry person); however, the relationship will be over and I will graciously say goodbye releasing myself from any strife, guilt, or anger.  We never know what happens in another's relationship, so I don't judge what others do regarding this situation.  

Respected Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

My .02 cents:

When serial cheating is going on and the spouse decides to stay I sometimes think the relationship is more of a business arrangement than a marriage. Rockers usually are notorious cheaters, yes, even at Ozzy's age. Sharon was a groupie who snagged him from his 1st wife. That darn Karma.

dee

Goes back to the old song Me and Mrs. Jones, by Billie Paul

Honored Contributor

It's hard to say if you have not been in that situation. For me, I don't think I would put up with more than once.

Honored Contributor

My ex cheated, thus the 'ex' status after 15 years of marriage.  I don't need or want to share a spouse or significant other.  I'm worth more than that.

Honored Contributor

Did someone say "humiliation"? On whose part? 

If the CHEATER is humiliated by h/h conduct, all well and good. AND- there is NO REASON for someone who has been cheated ON to be humiliated.

So if the one cheated on is willing to accept the cheater back, with whatever terms make the OCO comfortable, OK.

Up to the cheater to re-establish trust. If possible.

Respected Contributor

Respected Contributor

It's up to other people what they do, but I wouldn't tolerate it at all.
Respected Contributor

I heard someone say the other day about so many people in this country being "morally bankrupt".  Not only do I agree with that, I'll add that there is a lot of compliance and apathy from the spectator crowd.  Different subject, same attitude - while we are not caring or not expressing our opinions, "they" are busy in the background revising some law or regulation that WILL affect you.  That's what sticking your head in the sand does.  Just look at the question posed here.  Why do we have different answers to this?  No clear right or wrong anymore.  Sad.

Respected Contributor

That would be NONE.

And, I am thinking that Sharon and Ozzie shouldn't be used as the benchmark!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Depends---in a marriage--absolutely no; but others things, I would have to think about it. But leaning towards the one and done principle.