Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Long Should Your new TV last?

They sure don't make them like they used to!  We have most of the latest video games, but I still pull out my old Atari and play Pac Man every once and a while.  We have Pac Man on other systems, but I think there's nothing like playing it on the original.  I'll be sad when it goes out!

Our DVD tray stopped opening last week, so it looks like it's time to start looking for a new one.  It was about 10 years old.  We do a lot of streaming but still like to get DVDs from RedBox every now and then.

Today's iPhones and iPads aren't cheap, but they say the shelf life is 3-5 years.  Same with computers.  I'd like to think we could get a lot more than that from a flat screen TV.  

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Nothing is made to last anymore! In fact, my 5 yr old microwave GE profile bit the dust today😳

Its true and I never finance anything because most likely I'll be paying for it long after it's gone! 

We had had all our flat screens for 7 years max - in fact, we had a 56" Sony Bravia best tv ever (9 years old) - still working when I donated to a young family because hubby wanted upgrade to Sony Bravia "bells & whistles" 70".

My GE Profile microwave lasted about 5 years too.  ☹️  I really thought it would last longer, but the sales people at Sears, Lowe's, and Home Depot didn't seem surprised.  I wonder if that had anything to do with GE phasing out the Profile line.

Trusted Contributor

I know my old time two zenniths lasted 18 years and 20 years..........I have a smart tv with a two year warrantyt and I have had it a year so one more year to go and the other tv I have had almost two years............so...........I don't know............I hope 10 years but I doub it.........that still are not cheap I have one I paid $200 called a smart tv and one is I think I paid $147 but I don't have cable just an antenna.......not many channels but I love PBS WORLD  PBS CREATE and PBS so that is good and I get FOX and CBS.......in the bedroom I get three PBS and Fox, ABC, NBC and CBS and I am so excited as my neighbor in the middle of the complex only gets one chnnel.  They are toss away tv's now but I may not replace the bedroom if it goes out.  I don't know it is scary in life now in everything.

Honored Contributor

We had a Vizio that was about 4-5 years old, it would suddenly get really loud and then turn itself off and back on again or it would go mute or sometimes it sounded like someone talking through the back of a running fan.

We replaced it a couple months ago.

Honored Contributor

All electronics are disposable now.  Because technology changes so quickly and the next version comes out in less than a year, the sooner your unit dies or stops working effectively, the sooner you upgrade to the next version.

I upgraded to a new TiVo Bolt in April 2016 when they were released.  In November it died.  It only has a 3 month warranty.  Technically they didn't have to replace it, but I purchased a one year package and I had an expectation that the unit would last at least one year.  They agreed with my rationale and agreed to send me a refurbished unit.  So far, so good.  But really, this thing should not have died in 5 months.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

We have a 60" Samsung flat screen in our family room that was purchased 7-10 years ago.  I was just discussing this the other day with DH and neither one of us can remember when it was purchased.

The picture is great...really fabulous but we just noticed a small white dot on the screen about a week ago.  You can only see it when the screen is dark and the TV is on. Now that single dot has expanded to 5 small white dots. This has me worried that the TV is starting to fail.  We'll see how long this will be but I guess we've been lucky to have it as long as we have.

Trusted Contributor

I have a living room console tv that still works.  I bought it in 1995.  It's an RCA.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my 40" flat screen tv, Samsung, from Costco over 2 yrs ago -- perfect. Costco gives 2 year warranties + I got their 3 year extended warranty for only $99. Protected for 5 years. I always recommend Costco.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends.  If I really love a given product, its lifetime will probably be shorter.  If I can't wait for it to die so I can replace it - it will last forever.  Smiley Happy

But, seriously - I probably have unrealistic views on how long something I paid a bunch of money for should last.    I tend to feel like (wish) that if I take really good care of my things (as I do), then they should last pretty much forever.

Clearly, I'm wrong in that.  They state number of hours.  My current living room TV is on a LOT and I keep wondering if it will be nearing the end of its life.  Probably not, and here's why.

When I replaced my last living room TV I only went up 2" in size.  What the heck was I thinking?   I was a real idiot and, shortly after, I wished I had gone up more.   You know how it is - every time you replace a tv, except maybe in the bdrm (my 32" is fine for my bdrm and it's been the size for decades) you increase the size.   But I went up only 2".   D'oh!

But I do love the TV. It's a Sony (as is the one in my bdrm).  I've always done well with Sony brand.  But, next time - I'm going more bigger!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

All electronics are disposable now.  Because technology changes so quickly and the next version comes out in less than a year, the sooner your unit dies or stops working effectively, the sooner you upgrade to the next version.

I upgraded to a new TiVo Bolt in April 2016 when they were released.  In November it died.  It only has a 3 month warranty.  Technically they didn't have to replace it, but I purchased a one year package and I had an expectation that the unit would last at least one year.  They agreed with my rationale and agreed to send me a refurbished unit.  So far, so good.  But really, this thing should not have died in 5 months.

@VaBelle35

Your so right....things should last longer than your's did!!!  That is why whenver a new electronic of new version is released I wait a while.....they released Windows 8....quickly followed by 8.1...and now Windows 10 has bugs so I'll wait before I upgrade...same with TV's I read where one TV model had components that quickly burned out ....the manufacturer corrected the problem but it took awhile for them to get all the complaints and make the needed changes...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”