Esteemed Contributor

Re: How Do You Feel About Shopping Channels Selling Real Fur?

@HisElk wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Luxury furs like mink, chinchilla , fox and so on are bred for their fur.  OK, that's understood.  If I were rich, I'd still own one.

Leather (the skin of cattle, lamb, fish and many other animals) are by-products.  This mean that the entire animal is used for food, clothing, shoes, handbags, and sometimes jewelry.  I have absolutely no problem with this either.

What about "goose down" for your coats or your comforters?  What about the wool for your sweaters, COATS and socks?  Where do you think it comes from?  I don't care who likes what, but let's be realistic here.  If you don't like fur, you shouldn't like any of the things I just mentioned, not just mink, etc.

@itiswhatitis, regarding my bolded part to your post, many more animals such as rabbits, hamsters, and even dogs and cats in other countries are used.  

You say if you were rich, you'd own one.  That's your right and your choice; however, I would suggest you do some research on how manay of those animals it takes to make one fur coat along with how that animal was treated it's whole life on a fur farm and how it endured it's death.  Just because they are "raised" for that purpose doesn't mean these animals don't feel pain.

I don't need to watch anything with research @HisElk1!  I'm well aware.  I would STILL BUY ONE IF I WAS RICH.  Now what?

*Call Tyrone*
Regular Contributor

Evine is selling real rabbit fur on some boots.

Also Patricia Nash puts real fur on some of her pocketbooks.

I let them have it. They lost a customer. Disgusting.

Also, Dennis Basso has a designer store on Madison Ave, all of his coats are made

with real fur. I will not purchase any of his things.

Many people complained to Evine. I won't miss Evine. Not that great.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@nycgrl wrote:

I do not like it one bit.  I don't think they should be selling real fur and I personally think it sends a bad message knowing how the fur is obtained and the suffering of an innocent animal for its skin.  It is not a by-product of food.

I have made my opinions known to the channel to which I am referring.  

I also do not buy from the furrier that is on this channel.

I know I'll get some slack here for posting this and I really don't care.  Just want to know if there is anyone out there who feels the same way I do.

I am not interested in buying fur of any kind - real or faux.

I am a human and eat other animals that must die so I can survive. I am not squeamish and am fine with other people wanting fur- real or faux. It does not bother me to see things I personally do not want to buy sold anywhere. 

Most of the time these harsh judgements are uneducated ones and animals are treated humanely. There are exceptions.   

@willdob3, animals used for their fur are NOT treated humanely.  I've watched and seen with my own eyes what they endure on fur farms and how they are killed.  There's nothing humane about it.

@HisElk1 - 

That may be true for some places, as I said. It won't be true for ALL places.  

Honored Contributor

Try watching Mountain Men on the History Channel.  Little creatures with snapped necks and one beaver who actually drowned in a snare.

And it's not just Alaska, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

To be honest, I am not sure which methods are considered humane; I only know they do exist. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

I don't think that it matters to the animal if they are being killed for their meat and by-products, or 'just' for their fur. Nothing wants to die.

I use animal products (meat, leather) and have benefitted from the deaths of animals (Rh shot, surgery, and probably many ways I'm not aware of). What I want is for those animals to be killed humanely. 

I agree with your post.  I eat and love meat, wear leather, have a fur coat (from my mother), but I do wish that all the animals be killed in a more humane way.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with it, no lectures please.............

Respected Contributor

Don't like it one bit. I can't imagine any woman wearing real fur in this day and time. Disgusting!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't wear real or fake fur. I wouldn't wear real fur for ethical reasons but I wouldn't wear real or fake because I just don't like the look. I was given both a mink and chinchilla coat and wrap that were my grandmothers but I think they are still both in boxes and have been in there since I got them.

I have friends who wear furs though and that is their choice. I would hope they do research on how furs are made but I don't feel it is my place to educate them on it. There is enough information out there where they know at least enough about it where it would have dissuaded them if it were going to, and if it hasn't happened by now, it isn't going to.

I have a very good friend who loves to buy clothing from 2nd hand stores. She has found some really great retro finds. About 10 yrs ago she bought what she thought was a fake Cheetah full length coat. She was at a holiday party when a man she was talking with starting asking her about her coat. She told him where she got it and he informed her it was real. He was a furrier. She was horrified. He believed the coat was at least several decades old and told her if she wanted more info on it, to bring it by his store and gave her his card. She did and found out it was made either in the late 30s or early 40s. He couldn't believe what great condition it was in and thought it has not been worn for decades. I wish I could remember more. I just texted her asking her more details. I know she told me but I cannot remember. She thought it was a really good fake. She is probably the biggest animal lover of all the friends I have.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Contributor

I will not purchase anything from EVINE anymore.