Respected Contributor

It's been quite awhile since I've been on one but after the one I was done.

It was in Statesville NC at the airport and the supplier I was buying from offered rides prior to their customer dinner.

I was so afraid, the pilot just skimmed the trees, a huge long bug ended up in the basket and we landed in a field with tall grass that I was later told had snakes.

Since it was my first ride, there was a celebratory champagne toast by which the champagne of course didn't end up in the glass but allover my head.

that was my ride (and a ride to remember), never again.

They look pretty in the sky and take great colorful pictures but that's all the adventure I could of ever had or asked for.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride

[ Edited ]

You're more daring than I am. No way I'm getting up in one of those things.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Never, I wouldn't even think about it,  even before the recent tragedy.

Honored Contributor

I've always wanted to go on a hot air balloon ride..............maybe seeing it on the wizard of oz...............

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Respected Contributor

No way that I would go on a hot air balloon ride.  Helicopters scare me too!

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

No way that I would go on a hot air balloon ride.  Helicopters scare me too!

Ditto!  Scared the rotors will cut off my head getting on or off.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Those balloons are big business in the Napa Valley wine country.  I would not go on one if you paid me. I've read too many stories over the years of people killed while on a ride. 

Trusted Contributor

I have never gone and never will!!  Many people will think twice now!!  So sad!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Hot Air Balloon Ride

[ Edited ]

I've flown in a hot air balloon in Albuquerque and also participated as part of the crew, to inflate the balloon and be in the "chase team" to retrieve it after landing.   It's a wonderful experience, the sound, the feeling, and the views are incredible, and I would do it again under the right circumstances.    They are dangerous, even with the best of pilots, because their ability to "steer" is highly impacted by so many uncontrollable factors.   The horrific crash in Texas this past weekend is a frightening reminder of the dangers.   I've read that the pilot had a history of DUIs, prison, and auto driver's license revocation and also there were many complaints against the company.    Anyone who does choose to fly in this type of aircraft needs to check up on the pilot and the company, first.   Rest in peace, to all those who lost their lives.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

I am afraid of heights, so I always knew in the back of my mind that I could never go on one.  But, the other thing that always scared me is the lack of control on one.  The incident in Texas is just so sad...and a reminder of just how fragile life is.  One moment you are in awe of a flight above the earth and the beautiful views, the next, your life is over!  My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.