Trusted Contributor

Hosts repeating the same word descriptions over and over again

Between Mary Beth Roe and her saying HERE'S THE THING and 

Alberti Popaj repeating on every item every other word BEAUTIFUL AND FABULOUS.  it just gets to the point were you start counting how many times they repeat and forget what they are selling. I would think that the hosts would watch video of their presentations to see where they could improve and work on their descriptive words without using the same word every other word. It appears not..... This may sound contrite... but, it you are listening to an hour or two of a host on a show, it just makes the consumer turn out.
Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts repeating the same word descriptions over and over again

It doesn't bother me, I imagine it's a very tough job selling the same item over & over again, and the hosts stick with what seems to work. Perhaps they forget that handy thesaurus. 

Last night during You're Home With Jill, Jill must have mentioned her beach house 6 or 7 times during her presentations.  I laughed and started to wish I had tequila at the start of the show for a shot every time I heard those words.  Enjoyable!

Respected Contributor

@june22 wrote:

Between Mary Beth Roe and her saying HERE'S THE THING and 

Alberti Popaj repeating on every item every other word BEAUTIFUL AND FABULOUS.  it just gets to the point were you start counting how many times they repeat and forget what they are selling. I would think that the hosts would watch video of their presentations to see where they could improve and work on their descriptive words without using the same word every other word. It appears not..... This may sound contrite... but, it you are listening to an hour or two of a host on a show, it just makes the consumer turn out.

Hey june22 I totally agree. If the hosts themselves don't notice it you would think the production crew would. I actually find it comical and do start counting the word repetition. And its not just the hosts. When Tara comes on with her wares, she uses the word "beautiful" for practically every color she describes. It is hard for me to imagine that she doesn't notice she is doing it. In her case, I think may-be she is doing it intentionally.
Esteemed Contributor

I had to stop watching MaryBeth long time ago and apparently she "teaches" the new host when they are hired - perhaps that's why each one of them has a hum-drum phrase.  LOL

Lori G took over AMAZING AMAZING after Lisa R left -

Alberti - (have never watched him & won't)

Dan Wheeler and his 'like me on facebook' - ENOUGH ALREADY

And all of them - 'this is your OPPORTUNITY' to get....blah blah

Respected Contributor

If you watch a good percentage of the time, then yes I guess you will notice these things.  It's just the way it is.  I bet we all have our own repetitive tendencies and personal connotations when it comes to speaking. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Valued Contributor

Evidently TPTB don't notice or don't care.  When I was teaching, every so often I would tape my lessons and some of the things I witnessed were uncomfortable. After a taped lessons, I asked my students to anonymously write down any and all problems they found in the lesson.  After viewing the tape and noticing my errors, I looked at their notes and sure enough their comments pretty much matched up with my errors. It was a teachable moment for the teacher and helped me become a better a better and more aware educator.  Perhaps if the sales clerks on the Q were required to do the same, they would have an enlightenment as to the repetitiveness  of their vocabulary and phrases.  Self-awareness leads to self-improvement.  docsgirl

Honored Contributor

I agree that it has all become very repetitive-- the jargon, the items being presented, the hard-sell, the long infomercial-style presentations... And my level of patience is not what it used to be. So combine these factors, and you'll find me tuning in to the Q less and less.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I just don't listen long enough to hear all the repetition, so I would think if it bored you, you'd watch something else.or listen to music or go for a walk, etc.  You know they're repeating themselves -- they have no idea who is hearing them for the first time.

Seems to me it's always easier to change yourself than to expect someone else to change to please you.  At least that's how it works with the people around me.

Honored Contributor

Everyone does it, even you and I. It's just the way people are. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Actually, I rarely watch QVC live and I notice it. It doesn't annoy me, I just find the repetition of particular words or phrases comical.