Respected Contributor

Hostess Gift for Son's Future MIL

Our family is invited to join my DS's future MIL & family for Thanksgiving dinner.  I have not met her so don't know her hobbies, collections, likes, etc.  I would like to steer away from wine, candles, bath gels.

What do you suggest?  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

Re: Hostess Gift for Son's Future MIL

@pommom wrote:

Our family is invited to join my DS's future MIL & family for Thanksgiving dinner.  I have not met her so don't know her hobbies, collections, likes, etc.  I would like to steer away from wine, candles, bath gels.

What do you suggest?  

A beautiful floral arrangement. I always love getting those when I host during the holidays. 

Respected Contributor

A framed picture of the young couple?

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

A framed picture of the young couple?

What a wonderful idea . . . I never would have thought of this myself but what a lovely, warm gift to give to a future family member! . . . Heart

Respected Contributor

I actually thought of this.  Guess the quest is over!  Thanks so much.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FUTURE wrote:

@pommom wrote:

What do you suggest?  

A beautiful floral arrangement. I always love getting those when I host during the holidays. 

This is what I sent when invited to my husband's (then boyfriend's) parents home for our first holiday meal together. Their home was in another state and we were meeting each other for the first time. It was very well-received.  I find if you order directly from a local florist versus a service (i.e. FTD, Teleflora) you get a nicer, fuller arrangement delivered on time.  The local florist is looking to generate goodwill and business with local residents.

Honored Contributor

I like to make the gift about the recipient.  So, what I'd do is find out from the son and/or his fiance what kinds of things her mother would like.  

You could probably get the perfect idea from the people who actually know her.   They could easily give you some hints without asking her mother, so that it would be a surprise, but a surprise that is tailored to her taste.

Honored Contributor

Send a pretty bouquet of fall flowers to arrive the day before Thanksgiving, with a nice card. Buy nice ones - don't go cheap.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As others have suggested, I would either send a nice arrangement of flowers or ask your son and future daughter-in-law for ideas.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Flowers are a great idea--but find out in advance if anyone in the household has asthma or allergies. 

I second the poster's suggestion that you do a few queries in advance.  Many people would welcome a fancy dessert or chocolates, but just as many would prefer fruit or pecans from Georgia.  

If flowers are OK . . . I once brought a rare kind of amaryllis when invited as a guest for holiday dinner--not the humble economy version I get for myself Smiley Happy. It was rather costly. I knew the couple loved bromeliads or whatever it is that amaryllis are.  They loved that plant.  It was some unusual shade of red and very large.