Trusted Contributor

Re: Hornets invade my house every year this very week!`

Sorry you have issues with hornets every year but we're happy to have your husband come to the U.P. for a visit.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Does your husband pull out equipment/trunks for his trip?

If he's moving things, maybe he's disturbing the nests.

You might pick up a can of wasp spray.

Man, those things gives me the willies. 😳

Honored Contributor

I can see that it's to get to a warmer environment, as this is the time of year it gets cooler in so many places.

But how do they get IN there?   Do you leave doors or windows open without screens?   I have a neighbor who does that and it gives me stress.  hehe - I just cannot think about bugs and especially flies and bees getting inside my house.

Bees (of ALL kinds) absolutely terrify me so I cannot even imagine them getting in the house.   There are sprays like Sidsmom mentioned that work extremely well.   It's like - spray...dead.   

But still, I'm shuddering for you.   If I found a bunch of bees in my house I would grab the bird and the dog, and get the heck outta dodge immediately.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we did our bedroom remodel, we found at least 30 hornet nests. Most had been abandoned. Our bedroom is on second story. We feel the air duct to the roof was open until we screened it when we roofed 10 years ago.  It freaked me out to know they were population over my bed.  Yikes!  Hornet just need a little hole to get in.  They made nests from the rafters.  They were everywhere, as were old mice nests.  We had tall pepper trees as tall as the roof until 10 years ago as well.  We think the rats and mice climbed the trees and limbs and got through that duct as well.  It was skinny .. Had openings of maybe 1 inch or less.  That's all it took.  The contractors cleaned everything up. They filled any tiny gap they could find.  The amazing part of the story is we never saw any hornets in our home, or mice.  But they'd were happy secreted away!   🙀😓

ETA

Had we not tore down all ceilings and walls we would have never discovered this.

Honored Contributor

I never had any wasps or bees come into my house like that. But one year I had a weird thing happen. I have one of those roof-mounted attic fans that comes on automatically when my attic gets hot. One time in early spring, I heard this very loud humming noise...like it was coming from my ceiling somewhere, weird. Turned out that attic fan had a basketball-size wasp nest lodged right on the side of the fan! That particular day it was warm enough to set off the fan and it was grinding away at the nest causing a horrible fan noise combined with all the wasps buzzing around! Smiley Surprised My fan got destroyed, burned out the motor!Smiley Surprised The repair guy couldn't believe the size of that nest! EeeeWWW!

Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal

Every spring, and throughouf the summer, I periodically walk around our home looking under eaves, or and other part that overhangs our home or shed.

Find wasps nests, some already inhabited by many. I found that making my own spray seems to kill them. I mix very hot water with dish soap/use part of a thing I bought to wash our vehicles, that fits onto the end of a hose, it twists right on.

I stand close enough to get a spray that covers the whole nest, but also still has a powerful spray. Kills them pretty quick. I then put on my regular hose power nozzle and break it loose from the overhang.

If the water pressure won't knock it loose? I get out one of my many hockey sticks to knock it off. If they are in your home, there has to be a nest somewhere nearby. That would be my suggestion for step #1.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

We had a bit of drizzle last night after months of dry weather. Was just looking out the window and saw tons of termites coming out of the ground. grrrrrr.

Honored Contributor

I agree that the wasps (for us) have been brutal this year.  They will return to the same spot to nest around the same time of year due to an internal clock.... and there are pheromones that these insects leave that make them hone into the same place year after year.

Killing the nest is imperative and finding and killing the queen is imperative (but much harder to do).  They will return even with the nest gone and the queen dead, however it will stop the nest from getting progressively bigger, which they will do.

The pheromone aspect to all this is fascinating because we had experience with it at a house we used to live in.  We had a screened porch and they'd come to the corner of it year after year even though we killed the entire nest and disposed of all the bodies..... we eventually tore down the porch and built an addition to the house.  Full blown addition with a stucco exterior.

The wasps returned to the very same corner and tried to nest again!  

This year we've had tons of them.  We're out there again killing and disposing of the nests, the bodies... tracking down the queens and getting rid of them too....  I think it might be because summer has lingered this year.  Normally we'd have had a couple of snow storms by now.

BTW... hate them.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Check for any openings in your foundation and caulk; check caulking around all windows and replace if severely cracked or missing. Make sure no holes in screens -- replace if necessary. Check roof line where gutters meet shingles. Any openings, seal up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I think it's just a coincidence with the timing of the hornets' arrival and your husband's trip.  Maybe next year YOU should take a trip insteaf!  :-)

I've been in this house for 22 years.  Last fall was the first time I had a problem with wasps in the house.  Every day for a couple of weeks I would see a couple flying around on ALL levels of the house!  It was freaking me out!  I bought wasp spray and sprayed everywhere outside of the house where I thought they might be getting in.  They kept coming though.

Then one morning while getting ready for work I kept hearing a buzzing but no sign of the critter.  Then I finally noticed these little legs moving and sticking through the exhaust fan in the bathroom!  So I went outside and just watched the vent on the outside of the house.  That's when I saw that they weren't getting in through the vent but through a gap in the siding next to the vent.  They were just working their way in to the inside through the walls and gaps in the ceiling that led them to the ceiling fan.  So I sprayed the siding outside and then I sprayed the bathroom exhaust fan really good and just let fan run all night.  That did the trick!

Nothing so far this fall, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't come back!  Hope you conquer your invasion.  I know it's not fun.  :-(