Trusted Contributor

Hopefully this is the correct Forum. I have a question about couponing

I was at the Giant and there was a lady in front of me at the CS counter. She had a sealed manila envelope.  The manager was filling out all sorts of paperwork using her ID and the like.  He finally unsealed the envelope which measured about 6 by 8 and took out a check.  He rang it up for 1900 dollars.  I was astounded.  I could only surmise it was some sort of coupon venture.  Could that be possible for that kind of money?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Hopefully this is the correct Forum. I have a question about couponing

Customers service counters around here handle a number of different transactions not related to shopping.  It could have been lottery ticket winnings to Western Union money transfer.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

What is "the Giant"? Not heard of it.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Grocery chain in some parts of the US.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee this is a grocery chain that I am familiar with due to one of those Extreme Couponing stores as they would pop up occasionally.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Customers service counters around here handle a number of different transactions not related to shopping.  It could have been lottery ticket winnings to Western Union money transfer.

I agree. Here in Texas,I can go into an HEB grocery store and get a Western Union transfer, cash a check, pay bills to some utilities, renew the registration on my car, and more.

Respected Contributor

Maybe she was buying for a school or some other institution.  When we had events at school and would purchase items from retail, we had to show them a tax exempt form to prove that it wasn't a private purchase. 

Respected Contributor

A lot of times I am not aware of the services available at my local grocery store.  So knowing me, (after she left) out of curiousity, I would have inquired.   Yes, I know, not my business.  But I could gain knowledge about a service I could possibly use in the future.  There's no harm in asking a question, they don't have to answer with specifics.

Trusted Contributor

I did not get a chance to ask the manager due to the fact the woman was still there after I left.  To answer others questions, it is a large grocery store chain in the East Coast. As far as others answers?????I never knew grocery stores to provide all those services.  See, you come to the forum with a question and you get all kinds of information.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue@I had never thought to inquire what additional services my stores have...thought it was all about money orders and returns at customer service.