Super Contributor
Go to BoneSmart.org.
Respected Contributor
My family member was in his early 50s when he had two total hip replacements six months apart - so quite different than 80s. But he left the hospital in 2 days both times in less pain than when he went in. You are going to really have to be there 24/7 (I hate that expression) for at least two weeks to help him with everything. Within a month he should be pretty good. Of course, everyone is different. If possible, I would recommend rehab at home rather than a rehab facility.
Contributor

Since he's clearly on medicare, if his hospital stay is 3 days or more, he will qualify for inpatient rehab care. Pre-select one carefully if you go this route. Some docs will discourage you because home care is better mentally and less risky for infections but its yours and his decision.

Respected Contributor
On 8/10/2014 sophiamarie said:
On 8/9/2014 Gooday said:

I do know that it is a much easier rehab than a total knee replacement. It's easier because your hip is at your center of gravity. The therapy is not as painful. However, you much be very careful not to cross your legs and you must use an elevated toilet seat.

However, the doctor or his nurse will go over all of this as well as the use of a blood thinner starting a few days prior to surgery and for 3 weeks after. Your husband should do well.

I think this might be a mistake?? Isn't it just the opposite??

SORRY - MY MISTAKE. My fingers typed the wrong word! Yikes!!! A great example on why you shouldn't believe things you read on line.

I apologize and thanks to the few who caught my huge boo-boo! Please don't bring a malpractice suit against me.

Esteemed Contributor
On 8/10/2014 Gooday said:
On 8/10/2014 sophiamarie said:
On 8/9/2014 Gooday said:

I do know that it is a much easier rehab than a total knee replacement. It's easier because your hip is at your center of gravity. The therapy is not as painful. However, you much be very careful not to cross your legs and you must use an elevated toilet seat.

However, the doctor or his nurse will go over all of this as well as the use of a blood thinner starting a few days prior to surgery and for 3 weeks after. Your husband should do well.

I think this might be a mistake?? Isn't it just the opposite??

SORRY - MY MISTAKE. My fingers typed the wrong word! Yikes!!! A great example on why you shouldn't believe things you read on line.

I apologize and thanks to the few who caught my huge boo-boo! Please don't bring a malpractice suit against me.

LOL - Not to worry. No law suit. All is forgiven. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

My grandmother had both a hip replacement and a knee replacement........I will say the hip replacement was a longer re-hap time then the knee.......she did the stay in the hospital then was moved to a physical therapy hospital.......total time was about 6 months till she was moving on her own without any assistance.......she was in her 60's then.......now the knee, a whole other story, she was in her 80's and total rehab time was about a month and she was off an runnin...........hip replacements take some time and some work to get back to "normal"..............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo