Honored Contributor

Re: Highway I-5 at Williams FLOODED

Wow!  Can't believe they didn't close the road!  Around here it's always "turn around, don't drown", when the roads are covered with less water than that.  Stay safe!!!  Wicked weather out there these days.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Wow!  Can't believe they didn't close the road!  Around here it's always "turn around, don't drown", when the roads are covered with less water than that.  Stay safe!!!  Wicked weather out there these days.

I totally agree with you @Krimpette, they should have closed the road.

If I could have turned around, I would have, but there was no way to do that when I was on the highway.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2. I feel for you, and I probably would have done the same, despite the warnings.  Yet when I mentioned that to a friend, he felt I was totally wrong and that I should just stop and turn around.  I still feel that's not always an easy thing to do, especially on more heavily traveled roads.

Again, hope you stay safe.  Sounds like more rain is headed your way.

Honored Contributor

Glad you  made it home safely.

Living in the south, we sometimes have thunderstorms that may drop many inches of rain in just a short period of time, so we are a bit prone to flooding.   There's a saying, Don't Drown, Turn Around.   But in your case you did an alternate route.    Very smart

I saw video of Santa Barbara, I was shocked at the water, where is it all going to go?

I also saw an enormous sinkhole in Studio City.   That's way far away from you!

@Plaid Pants2

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

Glad you  made it home safely.

Living in the south, we sometimes have thunderstorms that may drop many inches of rain in just a short period of time, so we are a bit prone to flooding.   There's a saying, Don't Drown, Turn Around.   But in your case you did an alternate route.    Very smart

I saw video of Santa Barbara, I was shocked at the water, where is it all going to go?

I also saw an enormous sinkhole in Studio City.   That's way far away from you!

@Plaid Pants2

I did not like the fact that I had no choice, but to drive through the water.

I could not turn around.

Once I got to Redding, Ca. I was going to take route 299, which connects me to home, but that too was closed because of a landslide, so I had to take an alternate route once I got in to Redding.

Esteemed Contributor

Highway36 (1).gif

The route that I took home is once I got to Redding, (after having to go through the water.) was from 299, I took highway 3, which connected to highway 36.

Route 36 is full of narrow passes, and hairpin curves.

NOT a fun road to drive!

Respected Contributor

Santa Barbara is a coastal town. All the water ends up in the ocean. The water is filty with years of accumulated dirt, oil etc from the drought washing down the mts to the sts and to the ocean. Not to mention poison oak.

I hope some of the water has managed to percolate down to replenish the ground water, which was almost non existant before the storm. It was pretty scary here.

Plaid pants, your map reminded me of going to Camp Trinity every summer as a child.. Don't know if it still exists.

just talked to a friend in Redding she said the winds are picking up again and they are getting ready for another hit.

Stay in if you can.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @Plaid Pants2.  So glad you made it home.  We stop in Williams on a regular basis going back and forth from WA to AZ.

The pictures of the sink hole were scary!  Swallowed up two cars.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2  What a trip that was!

The reality of life in California at this time, is that there are flooded roads everywhere.  Add to that...mudslides and downed trees blocking roads.  The CHP has had their hands full, and I'm sure they're doing the best they can, under the circumstances.  Perhaps that section of the highway did get closed later in the day.

Get ready for more heavy rains later today!

Honored Contributor

Not only is it dangerous but you can easily ruin the engine in your car if water is 14" deep.   Water gets sucked into the exhaust system and the engine seizes.   The only solution is to replace the engine which is expensive and time consuming. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment