Super Contributor

Oh no, and they on NBC news said it is growing so much because people that used to take pain pills are using Heroin because they can't get the pain pills and they can get Heroin for $20...........I had no idea this was so rampant in our country.

Honored Contributor

I think it's cheaper than that. And yes, it's a growing problem here in Ohio. A lot of heroin overdose deaths.

Super Contributor

So so sad. When people are addicted they should just give them the medicine and let them dry out or tone down the medication instead of just letting someone be addicted.......life though is not worth anything except to the loved ones.

Honored Contributor

This drug went into the background for some years but now it is said to be among the most popular choice for those addicted to drugs, and also one of the most dangerous and deadly. I have heard it mentioned several times that many that go to heroin got addicted first to legal drugs(aka-prescriptions)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I heard that also Hockeynut........so good to hear from you. Is it that the doctors have stopped giving the medications that were addicting and left them in the cold to find a drug to help them? This is what it appears like to me.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/7/2014 Rainbows and Roses said:

I heard that also Hockeynut........so good to hear from you. Is it that the doctors have stopped giving the medications that were addicting and left them in the cold to find a drug to help them? This is what it appears like to me.

A patient may build up a tolerance to the pain meds, so they require more to keep the pain at bay or to ward off withdrawal symptoms. (This is most likely to happen when people overuse the pain medication instead of using it as it is prescribed.) When the prescriber refuses to up the dosage or frequency of the prescription, the person addicted to the pain meds seeks out an alternative...and that is often heroin.

ETA--People who are addicted to pain killers or heroin can seek help for their addictions and be gradually weaned off, usually with methadone.

From Wikipedia:

"Methadone is mainly used in the treatment of opioid dependence. It has cross-tolerance (tolerance to similar drugs) with other opioids including heroin and morphine, and offers very similar effects, but a longer duration of effect. Oral doses of methadone can stabilise patients by mitigating opioid withdrawal syndrome or making it more tolerable. Higher doses of methadone can block the euphoric effects of heroin, morphine, and similar drugs. As a result, properly dosed methadone patients can reduce or stop altogether their use of these substances."

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

Heroin use and overdosing is up virtually everywhere in the U.S. I just read an article in my local paper about heroin use in my area. It's very sad.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Heroin use has been very common here in South Jersey for years now. Heroin is cheap, readily available, and widely used.

Heroin use here isn't so much for people with real medical conditions (pain) as it is for people who were using oxycontin to get high. They'd crush the oxycontin to get the full impact in a rush. The authorities have cracked down enough on the oxycontin trade that heroin is now the far more affordable option for those looking for a quick high. From local reports you can get heroin for under ten dollars while the street cost of oxycontin is now around twenty dollars a pill or higher.

If you sit in the parking lot at a local shopping center you'll likely see multiple drug deals going down. Dealers have learned how to avoid getting busted with large quantities of drugs so they deliver small quantities to their customers and parking lots are the preferred meeting place. (Typically by a landmark like the clothing drop-off boxes.) You'll see a car pull in and sit there for a few minutes, then a second car will pull in and the windows will roll down and a transaction will take place with money going from one car to another and then the drugs going to the other. The windows go back up and the two cars will drive away. If the police were to arrest the person selling the drug they'd likely only be able to get them on a minor charge since the quantity of drugs exchanged was small. The laws in this country tolerate small scale drug dealing, so dealers have adapted and create smallish stashes of drugs that they can then draw from and deliver to customers with little risk of prosecution, or serious criminal charges being lodged.

Unless we get serious about cracking down on illegal drugs and create a zero tolerance policy where any drug dealing is dealt with harshly, this situation will continue. There's little to no real risk for the dealers or buyers of prosecution since small quantities are all that's involved. I'm afraid we're getting more and more to the point where any chance to crack down hard on the dealers is lost. There's more of a move to legalize everything (in the foolish belief that buyers will only buy the taxed/legal drugs) and that's just going to lead more people into addiction.

I would be willing to bet that the people who profit the most from legalizing marijuana use in Colorado will be the illegal drug dealers. They can undercut the state's prices (by a lot) and with the use now being legal, there's next to no risk for the buyer. Now I'm sure the state will work hard to track down the illegal dealers, but the profit margin is so high for the illegal dealers that any the state arrests will be quickly replaced. Those with money to spare will likely use the state stores and pay the higher price, but most users will opt for the street versions which are cheaper. There's a fallacy that legalizing drugs will put drug dealers out of business. It does just the opposite though. Instead it legitimizes their 'business' and makes them a lower cost option than the state backed stores which sends them even more business.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Back int he 1930's and '40's, my grandfather who was a pharmacist had al icense to sell "heroin, morphine and coca leaves" (i am quoting)It was more of a tax stamp, as the US didn't mind them selling it, after all, these drugs have very beneficial medicinal properties, it wasn't illegal then, they just wanted their "cut"....

Honored Contributor
When a person has pain the codiene (opiate) in the pain meds they take is used up by the pain receptors to aleviate the pain and they do not get addicted to it. However, if a person uses opiate medications who does not have pain or uses more than necessary -ie: continues to take the meds even though the pain is relieved - they will become addicted. It is certainly not the doctor's fault when a patient takes their meds irresponsibly. He tries to figure out how much medication a pateint needs for the condition and order appropriately but sometimes patients are calling the doctor begging for more pain relief and it is very difficult for him to know if they are just wanting to get high or if they are actually in pain. The poor doctors have to walk a very thin line on this as the government watches them extremely carefully. And, of course, every one has a different tolerance to pain, as well. And God help the poor doctor who says no more to a patient then that patient will tell everyone on earth not to go to that doc as they are cruel and won't give you the meds you need.