Honored Contributor

Re: Hello, Really over $24,000

You can do that shocking comparison with anything....think of what you have spent on food since 2003..., probably much more than cable. It is all relevant. I enjoy my cable and am happy to spend $$$$$ on it, no complaints.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure when I canceled cable. Maybe 5 years ago?

I love saving money with my Roku! I use Amazon Prime for most TV shows & movies. I love watching what I want to watch when it is convenient for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I am just learning Roku so you get shows not channels...........and you search for them in your Roku remote.  So I don't think I could ever watch them all but you will not get shopping channels as far as I know.

With Roku you get channels. The channels have shows.

I get HSN, QVC, and Evine on my Roku. There are more shopping channels but I am not looking for them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When cable tv first became available my mother warned me that tv would never be free again! I don't understand why we pay for cable service and have to watch all the commercials!

Ive paid $24,000 in the last ten years! How did you get it so cheaply?😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I am shocked to say that we have spent more than you in the last thirteen years on cable.I will be checking out other options too.Now I am wondering how much we have spent on gas...no wonder we are broke.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I agree with you.  I love cable, but I also have smart tv's and Roku attached to each tv.   I enjoy watching you tube and things that I can't get through cable.  For those of you that want Roku, it was a very easy set up.  I bought mine at Walmart and also bought another for back tv from Roku.  They ran a special and it was like 49.99.  You pay for nothing else except the Roku box.  It is small and you get a small remote with it. 

Also, I had to call them a few times and they have wonderful customer service.   I know you didn't ask all these questions SeaMaiden but someone else did   lol

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@truffle 

Can someone please help me with questions on Roku? 

1) Who is Roku? Is that the name of the company or the device?  Roku is the name of the company and device.  It is a small little box that you connect to your tv.  It runs about 50.00, and it is a one time purchase. You get a remote to use with it.

2) Do you need fast internet speed for it to work properly?  I  have 50mg internet.  It is not high high speed.

3) What does it cost?  It costs nothing monthly.  You just buy the box.  Can be purchased at Walmart or Roku.  THey have wonderful customer service.

4) Are there monthly payments for the service?  No

4) Where do you buy it?   Walmart or Roku also.  I am sure best buy and others sell it also. 

5) Does it need installation? All you do is connect it to your TV and set it up through your computer.  It is an easy set up process.

Hope this helps you out!

6) Does your picture ever pause or get pixalated? It did when my internet speed was at 35 but at 50 no problem.

7) Does streaming affect the speed of other devices sharing the same internet portal? mine does not at 50.  It did at 35.  Also depends if you have a lot of people in house and you are using ipads and cell phones and etc. 

8) How many channels do you get?  You get a lot of channels.  Don't be embarrased.  There are alot that know about it.  Good Luck.  If I can answer anything else , plese feel free to ask.

Thanx. Cat Embarassed    I bought my first one at Walmart, but Roku was running a special and I bought second one directly from them and it was cheaper.  It even works on old TV's. 

Trusted Contributor

My son gave me a Googlecast for my birthday, and I find I watch it more and more. I have a Roku too, but we are going to put that one downstairs in the family room. I find I use the Googlecast more.

BTW, I NEVER EVAH watch FoxNews. It's beyond ridiculous.

Honored Contributor

@RedHeadedWench wrote:

My son gave me a Googlecast for my birthday, and I find I watch it more and more. I have a Roku too, but we are going to put that one downstairs in the family room. I find I use the Googlecast more.

BTW, I NEVER EVAH watch FoxNews. It's beyond ridiculous.

Fox News is an oxymoron.

Cat Tongue

Trusted Contributor

I gave up cable in January and live the savings, I have a digital antenna but it doesn't allow me to get NBC or ABC which does irritate me a bit. If I did get RuKu would I get my standard channels?