Esteemed Contributor

Re: Having a hedge planted with zero contact. Sign of the times.

I would've stayed inside (maybe watch from a window), while he was outside planting the shrubs.

Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy. No mask needed. Problem solved.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Is there no way to wear a mask and remain 6 feet away from each other to do this job?  What happens if you need an appliance repaired like the fridge. 

Sounded like he doesn't speak much English, so I don't know that being out there with him would've helped much.

@Kachina624 , I'm with you on that, but I don't know OP and her health conditions.  I thought FL was sandy soil.  I have heavy clay and everywhere I dig it's rocks and roots.  I have to amend the soil or nothing would grow.  When I say rocks, my uphill next door neighbor's back yard is nothing but boulders.  I often lament that the size of the rock I have to dig up is inversely proportional to the size of the hole i need to dig, but that's because I usually go for smaller pots so I don't have to dig big holes.  I have a husband who I could ask to do the digging, but yard work is my thing, even the hard stuff.  I do worry about getting to the age of being unable to do it any more, though.  

Honored Contributor

A week ago, I had several plumbers in the house repairing two toilets, one had rusted bolts so it took hours, but the guys had booties and masks on, and we stayed clear.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

Right now, I'm having a small hedge planted around my ac units to comply with my  new HOA standard. I called a local nursery yesterday. I told them what plants I needed and how I want it to be done. I texted a computer drawing I made to show the layout. The cashier checked for the plants and quoted me a price for the plants plus delivery and installation. I paid by credit card. She scheduled the installer for today. She gave him directions and gate code to my home. The installer is outside now putting in the plants. He sent me a photo of the plants arranged in their position for an OK to proceed. I OK'd the planting and spoke with the cashier at the nursery. She had to do a bit of translating into Spanish to ensure that the installer knew it was OK. So far, so good. 

@Mindy D    Is that like a Association that, if you live, in a certain area they tell you what you can and can't have and how you must comply with some rules and you pay to belong to it ?

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

5EEC12E9-8E78-405B-B1D4-FF6003733E92.jpeg

Looks nice, I bet you are glad it is done. 

@RetRN @Thank you for your kind words. I'm just glad it's over. My HOA sent me a letter saying they were going to charge me $100 a day until it's done. This was really stressing me out. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Is there no way to wear a mask and remain 6 feet away from each other to do this job?  What happens if you need an appliance repaired like the fridge. 

Sounded like he doesn't speak much English, so I don't know that being out there with him would've helped much.

@Kachina624 , I'm with you on that, but I don't know OP and her health conditions.  I thought FL was sandy soil.  I have heavy clay and everywhere I dig it's rocks and roots.  I have to amend the soil or nothing would grow.  When I say rocks, my uphill next door neighbor's back yard is nothing but boulders.  I often lament that the size of the rock I have to dig up is inversely proportional to the size of the hole i need to dig, but that's because I usually go for smaller pots so I don't have to dig big holes.  I have a husband who I could ask to do the digging, but yard work is my thing, even the hard stuff.  I do worry about getting to the age of being unable to do it any more, though.  

@Icegoddess @We have sandy soil mixed with tons of chunks of oolitic limestone. These rocks make digging very difficult and I'm just not able to do this anymore. 

Honored Contributor

That looks nice.  Will your HOA maintain the hedge, @Mindy D ?  

Esteemed Contributor

Looks good! 😍

Could you please share what type of shrub you used? It sort of looks like a yew. I can't tell.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

Right now, I'm having a small hedge planted around my ac units to comply with my  new HOA standard. I called a local nursery yesterday. I told them what plants I needed and how I want it to be done. I texted a computer drawing I made to show the layout. The cashier checked for the plants and quoted me a price for the plants plus delivery and installation. I paid by credit card. She scheduled the installer for today. She gave him directions and gate code to my home. The installer is outside now putting in the plants. He sent me a photo of the plants arranged in their position for an OK to proceed. I OK'd the planting and spoke with the cashier at the nursery. She had to do a bit of translating into Spanish to ensure that the installer knew it was OK. So far, so good. 

@Mindy D    Is that like a Association that, if you live, in a certain area they tell you what you can and can't have and how you must comply with some rules and you pay to belong to it ?

@SharkE @Yes, it's my Homeowners Association. All the developments have them in South Florida. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

That looks nice.  Will your HOA maintain the hedge, @Mindy D ?  

@tansy @The HOA only maintains the landscaping on the common grounds, such as all the landscaping along the streets. They maintain the pool, the guard gates, the lakes, and security guards. They provide basic cable to the homeowners. In my previous home, the HOA maintained my front yard. They mowed and trimmed.