Honored Contributor

Re: Having a family member file for disability and declared incompetant++

This is what happens when politicians keep dropping taxes so they can get elected.The most vulnerable of us suffer terribly. 

Honored Contributor

A HUGE THANK YOU to all of you for your advice, kind words and support. I have printed out this thread and now have some very valuable information to work with.

THANK YOU ALL, AGAIN!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The key thing is to apply whether or not you have all of your ducks in a row, and you probably do, since payment begins upon the day you apply.
Contributor

Dear Sahmlam:  If I were you, I would check to see if you have an "Attorney Referral Service" in your area.  Once you call that #, someone there will get your information and then make an appoinment with a disabiity/SSI/SSDI attorney for you.  You might ask whether the person at the Service would be kind enough to provide you with more than one referral.  This way you can see if you feel more comfortable with one attorney over the other.  These initial meetings are basically consultations, which, in my experience, only lasted for maybe a half an hour each visit.  That was many years ago; I do not know if the system is the same now.  I found it very helpful. I was successful in both finding a great attorney and then ultimately qualifiying for SSDI.  I truly wish you the very best of luck.  I feel for you that you are dealing with this issue.  If I can help you any further, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

It looks like I will need to this for one of my children. I am lost when it comes to SSI, disability, the paperwork and the SS office near me is USELESS. I've been to different websites... I think I need professional assistance with the situation.

So, is there a specific type of lawyer I should find who can handle this? Specific group that I can contact to give me guidance? He will be living with me for the rest of his life (most likely) and I want to do everything I can to assist him in any way.

Thank you for any information. To say this is breaking my heart is an understatement.

sahmlam.....please listen to what I have to tell you.  The first chance you get call the Law Firm of Binder and Binder.  I believe they have offices throughout the U.S.  The Attorneys only specialize in SS disability, they don't do any other legal work,  and have an extremely high rate of helping people get the disability they deserve.  They only take a fee if they are successful and they usually are.  No money upfront.  All you need to do is call them and they will ask you questions, then they present your case to the attorneys and will call you back to let you know if they will take your case.  You never have to go to any of their offices.  Everything is done by mail and by phone.  The most important thing to help your son get disability is to have a good doctor that will give a very extensive report outlining your son's conditions.  You will then get a date to go to court and at that time you will meet the attorney for a consultation before you and your son go before the Judge.  Believe me they are the best in what they do and are also very courteous and extremely helpful.  I wish you and your son the best of luck.   

Contributor

You don't need anything but to fill out forms correctly. They get all your records because you supply them the information and permission. If his doctors agree he is disabled then he will get it. It's basically the doctors notes and input. They don't generally review medical records and just evaluate based on several criteria also which is in the forms. I would save money and do it myself. There are fabulous social workers available to help as well. People who use lawyers also get the benefits taken away eventually even if they win. Sounds like you should be fine if its permanent damage. They keep doing evaluations and keep a close watch on you if you get it.
Contributor

P.S. You could be paying lawyers thousands for nothing but filling out forms. Try it yourself first. Then go from there. Just make sure that the doctors are in sync about him being disabled. Sounds like they are. Just call up SSDI and ask for them to send you the forms. It's very basic. Good luck. The best approach is not to attack with a lawyer unless you get denied. It's in your best interest not to use the legal system unless absolutely necessary. It's quicker too.
Trusted Contributor

@GeorgiaJack wrote:
P.S. You could be paying lawyers thousands for nothing but filling out forms. Try it yourself first. Then go from there. Just make sure that the doctors are in sync about him being disabled. Sounds like they are. Just call up SSDI and ask for them to send you the forms. It's very basic. Good luck. The best approach is not to attack with a lawyer unless you get denied. It's in your best interest not to use the legal system unless absolutely necessary. It's quicker too.

Sorry for disagreeing about paying for lawyers and doing it yourself.  First, you must hire a law firm who only solely specializes in SS disability cases and they will get you your disability benefits much faster and are very rarely denied when you hire the right law firm.  It is not quicker to do it yourself and the percentage of people who are denied by filing themselves is extremely high.  I know someone who filed papers on her own 3 times and was denied each and every time.  The forms are very long and time consuming.  She finally listened to me and hired Binder & Binder and within 6 months was in court and was granted SS disability and also back payments. By law they are only allowed to take up to a certain percentage of what the award is and it was not much.  My friend was absolutely ecstatic on how easy it was with Binder & Binder and was sorry she didn't hire them from the very beginning.

Respected Contributor

You are referring to SSDI and that is NOT what she is applying for. She is applying for SSI which is a total different program.

If she goes the attorney route she needs to make sure she is very clear that it is SSI and NOT..NOT SSDI.  I have seen them used interchangeably and they are not the same. Two different ball games..

I know everybody has good intentions but make sure the info you are giving is accurate..

Esteemed Contributor

@CouponQueen wrote:

You are referring to SSDI and that is NOT what she is applying for. She is applying for SSI which is a total different program.

If she goes the attorney route she needs to make sure she is very clear that it is SSI and NOT..NOT SSDI.  I have seen them used interchangeably and they are not the same. Two different ball games..

I know everybody has good intentions but make sure the info you are giving is accurate..

ICAM

"SSDI refers to the Social Security Disability Insurance program. It is tied to the Social Security retirement program, but is for workers who become disabled before retirement age."

"Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and
It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter."