Honored Contributor

Re: Have You Caught the Fever?

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@dreamieLil wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

Just saw on the news that in DC, the National Mall police have had to tell people to please be respectful and not play that game near memorials.  Sad.

very sad. Common sense just flew out the window!!

I don't get the fascination.

Neither do I.

I "get" fascination with things like this, but I personally have no interest. And one thing's a given - stupid people will do stupid things because of their obsession, thereby hurting themselves, and possibly others, in the process. There are always the "runs with scissors" people out there.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Just like with the game "Angry Birds" and "Candy Crush", this fad, shall too pass.

But at least with the birds and Candy, nobody got hurt, well except for the pigs in the bird game.

We've been into Pokemon for about 15 years.  This particular game may pass, but a new version will replace it with many still enjoying the old.  Pokemon has a following almost like Star Wars.  The games, books, cards, etc., are being passed to next generation.  This game has been highly anticipated for the past year.  I don't see some of the local enthusiasts tiring of it any time soon.  Kind of like an iPhone, it will be phased out when the developers come up with something better.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have this game, and have no plans in ever playing it, but can someone please explain to me how a game player can be "lured" to a spot where bad things can happen?

Super Contributor

I haven't read all the responses yet but Wow so many negative narrow minded responses so far!!

@millieshops your remark was heartless when you said you don't know yet if you feel sorry yet for the victims! It's not the player's fault! Every time something good comes along, then unfortunately so do the hackers!! It's their fault!! When hackers hack computers, do you blame the user??

As far as the dead body being found, well I guess that's a good thing for the police, isn't it? Someone did them a favor!! I happen to think this is a good new fun game, but I guess unfortunately there's always gonna be Debbie downers around and also idiot hackers/thieves/troublemakers. That's life!!

Regular Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@dreamieLil wrote:

@nun ya wrote:

@Mj12 wrote:

Just saw on the news that in DC, the National Mall police have had to tell people to please be respectful and not play that game near memorials.  Sad.

very sad. Common sense just flew out the window!!

I don't get the fascination.

Neither do I.

I "get" fascination with things like this, but I personally have no interest. And one thing's a given - stupid people will do stupid things because of their obsession, thereby hurting themselves, and possibly others, in the process. There are always the "runs with scissors" people out there.

True.  This app might have opened a hornets nest of trouble for careless people.

Trusted Contributor

My first impression is how nice that so many people have the kind of time on their hands where they can walk for miles and spend hours playing a game.  My 36-year old stepdaughter is all into it, touting it as some much needed exercise for herself.   Sorry, but I can't see any benefits out of it other than a good time waster.  I guess that's how I feel about video games in general, though. :-)

Respected Contributor

As posted before, who is doing the luring?  

Trusted Contributor

Not according to my future grandson-in-law.  He is a tow truck driver and says there is a significant increase in the tow business due to this game.  You can still have or cause an accident while going slow.  Just today there was a young woman driving down our street, slowly, but kept stopping and starting over and over while busy on her phone and not paying attention to the road.  Don't know if she was doing the Pokeman thing but whatever she was doing she was sure in her own world.  

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

Sounds like a complete waste of time.

beats actually working and being productive I guess.

People post here while at work. Where's your complaint about that? 

Esteemed Contributor

For those who wonder how people were robbed, there is a geo tracker to the game which can let people watch where others go such as to secluded areas. Also there's a lure mode but that is used to attract more people to places like businesses.

Here is the link to the article which explains all of this from CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/11/tech/pokemon-go-crazy-events/index.html?sr=twCNN071116pokemon-go-crazy...

And PS My son in law now told me where he works is one of the locations and he now sees people outside his window, walking around near his job looking at their phones. He saw one guy walk into a parked car because he wasn't paying attention.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles