Honored Contributor

Has anyone used Ancestry dot com?

I think it could be such fun. I like that show that the celebrities are on that has them going to different areas of any country sometimes, and looking through all those old papers. I love the old books these records are kept on, and really the whole thing!!!

Have you used this company or done your own ancestry search?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Ancestry dot com?

[ Edited ]

My sister has an account with this company. She has looked at our family tree.  I would do some research before I joined. This company has a free 14 day trial. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry.com

I would not use my primary email address, because Ancestry has many "heirs".

Honored Contributor

Nope.  Refuse to put money in the Mormon coffers.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're doing research, you pretty much have no choice but to use them.  

Most all tips and hints lead you right back to them and if you want to see the documents it's going to cost you.

I get so frustrated.

Respected Contributor

I like using Ancestry, including their DNA tests. This has been my hobby for 35 years and now it's so much easier doing on line instead of the old snail mail. I recommend it

Respected Contributor

I use it and love it. Compared to some of the other sites, family tree dna for example, it is much easier to use. I am also meeting cousins I never knew before and enjoying the exchange of pictures, stories and information. I also did the dna testing.

It has been a lot of fun and the rest of my family is benefitting from my research too. I wish my grandparents were still around because they would love this (plus fill in some of the blanks).
Honored Contributor

Good to know, thanks!!

Esteemed Contributor

It's great fun!  I had the DNA done and got a great surprise and a friend of mine found a sister she didn't know existed....it opened a can of worms but she was happy to learn of her, meet her and keep in touch.   Worth it

Honored Contributor

I was glad I had my first DNA test done at Ancestry as it's the least expensive and the most "friendly" to helping you find relatives.  I had already done my family research there, and found cousins and second cousins on both sides I didn't know I had.

It's true that it's "the" site to use for investigation and research if you're starting from scratch.  You can go pretty far starting with not much information.

The downside is that it's expensive, and I don't like their billing practices - and once you stop paying them you lose access to your information. But while you are paying them, you can download the info to your computer through software (that you have to buy of course), or upload your DNA info to other sites, like GEDmatch (which I'm just finding out about), so you do have some options.

I stopped paying and am now "locked out" of the research area, though I still have access to my DNA info. I'm in the middle of DNA testing with both Family Tree and 23andme. When I get those results back (several more weeks) I might start paying again for a few months if I want to do any more digging.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

My niece used Ancestry, the research turned up so much inaccurate information she cancelled her membership.

Plus Ancestry really pushes up selling.