Honored Contributor

Has anyone searched out their ancestors?

I would think that could be interesting. One of the channels had on a show, "who do you think you are?" I think that's what it was called. I'll have to look it up. Haven't seen it in awhile, not sure it'll be back.

Anyway, has anyone done the Ancestory.com thing,  Or had them check your blood for nationality ID?  Latter one is new to me. Still I wonder and the expense too?

Just curious.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone searched out their ancestors?

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal

I have been researching my family history off on on since 1985. I'm currently a subscriber on Ancestry and have had my DNA. DNA results were surprising for me, so I totally recommend doing that and your family members

It is a huge puzzle and fun to put the pieces together.

I recommend going to www.familysearch.org and starting there as it is Free Site. Hope you try it and have some fun. I pay 19.95 a month for Ancestry

Honored Contributor

You might want to check out this recent thread. It discusses most of your questions in detail.

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/Ancestry-DNA-testing/m-p/2536207#M805696

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

No. I do not like my  immediate family let alone want to search for ancestors. 

Respected Contributor

I really enjoyed watching that show you mentioned - Who Do You Think You Are. I hope it comes back!

I have done a little research on my family tree but nothing intensive. 

Honored Contributor

I did but I found so many sad sad sad things that I stopped. Like my Grand mother's grandmother had 11 children - and 7 of them died one winter when they caught scarlet fever. Can you possibly imagine that?  On the other side of the family - I found out my great grandparents and their children, including my grandmother, had to go to the poorhouse to live for a while. Actually my great grandmother died at a place called Little Sisters of the poor and is buried in an unmarked grave there, and I have been unable to find out where her husband died - I can't find any records. My grandmother had 2 children who died as infants from malnutrition. I guess she didn't have enough milk to feed them.  I know my father's family was extremely poor when he was a child, during the depression. So, in the end I just decided it was too much information and just made me sad so I stopped looking.

Respected Contributor

I'm not overly interested either.   The DNA commercial is stupid IMO.     We have a lot of family tree stuff all the way back to the Mayflower.   John and Priscilla Alden are direct decedents.   That did get my sister a part in a play in school.  LOL

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I have gotten into this and built the family tree and done the dna testing. It is so interesting and fun. I share with the rest of the family and everyone is interested.

What I like about the dna testing is when they tell you who you are related to out in ancestry and when we have common ancestors I feel like that is good validation for the family tree.
Honored Contributor

Way back in the "Roots" days I took a class called "Finding your Roots". It was ok,but both sides of my family have all been good about ancestry. One of the things the teacher said was that we all had Indian blood in us. I told her that unless there were Indians running around the island of Sicily I did not.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

My grandparents came from "the old country" and the places they were born don't even exist anymore.

My grandmother came here by herself from a small farming village in the Ukraine after she came back from the fields and found her family killed. She wouldn't tell us anymore than that.....