Respected Contributor

Has anyone ever had dental implants or a bridge?

Had to have a tooth pulled recently and for cosmetic reasons I am thinking of replacing with either a dental implant or a bridge. Anyone had either procedure? Are you satisfied with the results ?  Cost effective ? Thanks for the feedback

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had dental implants or a bridge?

I have bridges on both left and right side of my lowers.  I wouldn't pay what they want for an implant, especially since my bridges have been no trouble at all.  Much more cost effective.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Agree with the previous writer. Implant was way expensive and not covered by insurance. Went with a permanent bridge anchored by 2 good teeth. Covered by insurance and no taking it in and out.

Super Contributor

I've had two implants. No problems with either one....they are like my own teeth. Big bucks, though.....but your teeth are important!

Honored Contributor

Implants are very expensive and sometimes they fail and have to be removed - of course no refund to you when they fail. I would never pay for one.I have 2 bridges and I am content with them.

Valued Contributor

I had one dental implant about 10 years ago.  No problems whatsoever.

Trusted Contributor

A bridge involves two other teeth whereas in plant involves one tooth. I've had both. There are pros and cons to both. A bridge you have to have the two teeth on either side crowned with the tooth in between making three teeth. With a implant they put a metal screw and your jaw. It has to stay in for three months to make sure the bone grows around it. Then a crown is attached to it.

Respected Contributor

I have an implant because it was the back upper molar and I did not want something that came out of my mouth. Yes, it was expensive and took a long time. What you should know about bridges is that they can weaken the adjacent tooth.

Honored Contributor

Because I had 4 bridges, I now have 8 implants.  Yes, they can weaken the adjacent teeth and the teeth under the crown as part of the bridge can decay without your knowledge and create havoc in the surrounding teeth.  Just my experience and now I have trigeminal neuralgia and tempormandibular joint disease from all that .  Wish I had had the money to do implants at the very beginning.  They don't decay.  Sometimes they have to be removed as the body rejects them, particularly in older people where the bone is porous.  I had bone grafting and have done fine but I had an excellent oral surgeon.  The way I feel about bridges is also the way I feel about root canals.  I think they are terrible and I had 8 in my life and would never have another one.  I would just not do it.  They don't last very long in many cases and then you have to have them redone and very often that has to be followed by an apicoectomy and then eventually removal of the tooth.  It would have been far more cost effective for me to have had the implant first.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever had dental implants or a bridge?nan

I've  also had an implant for many years with no problems. Also if you had  to have dentures they can snap them to your implant.