Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

I have received and given the pears.  The are good, but they must be eaten quickly.  They arrive ripe and begin deteriorating immediately unlike grocery store bought pears.

@gmkb

that is one of the reasons why i recommended comice pears from pittman and davis. they are not all ripe......a few may be, but the majority of them are still hard. i usually keep them in their box and leave them in the garage. that seems to be the perfect temperature for them. i bring them in a few at a time for us to eat.

Thank you for your recommendation. I may give these a try this year for a couple of gifts!

Honored Contributor

I think the quality of H&D has declined over the last 10 years. They closed many of their outlets.

Trusted Contributor

I like the chocolate truffles they do. I agree the Moose Munch is good too. They closed the outlet close to me, but I noticed they opened a seasonal booth at my local mall. I would be happy to receive a gift from them.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

I have received and given the pears.  The are good, but they must be eaten quickly.  They arrive ripe and begin deteriorating immediately unlike grocery store bought pears.

@gmkb

that is one of the reasons why i recommended comice pears from pittman and davis. they are not all ripe......a few may be, but the majority of them are still hard. i usually keep them in their box and leave them in the garage. that seems to be the perfect temperature for them. i bring them in a few at a time for us to eat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunshine45, thank you for that suggestion.  I had not heard of this company, but just now went to their website.  I ordered the box of 6 Comice pears.  I had stopped ordering H&D pears because they always arrived so ripe, so look forward to trying these.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

I think the quality of H&D has declined over the last 10 years. They closed many of their outlets.

Harry & David went through Chapter 11 bankruptcy a few years ago (I think this might be when several of their retail stores closed), and the company is now owned by 1-800-Flowers. Other brands owned by 1-800-Flowers include Cheryl's Cookies, Wolferman's, Popcorn Factory, and Fannie May.

BTW, I did order two gifts from Pittman and Davis -- I'm anxious to hear what my parents think of the contents!

Esteemed Contributor

When I was in college - many years ago - my mother always sent me H/D pears around this season.  Always around finals week and they were so welcomed!  Shared with dorm friends and everyone enjoyed them!!

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Sweet Pepper Relish is to die for and so are the others.

I agree, @beckyb1012. And once, at their store, they had made a dip consisting of one part relish and one part cream cheese mixed together. They were serving it with tortilla chips. Delicious!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Sweet Pepper Relish is to die for and so are the others.

I agree, @beckyb1012. And once, at their store, they had made a dip consisting of one part relish and one part cream cheese mixed together. They were serving it with tortilla chips. Delicious!

That sounds like something wonderful to add to my list of things to take to my son's on Christmas.  Or keep in my on fridge.  Thanks.

Also, I have been meaning to ask you if you have read the below?  I did a couple of months ago it is wonderful.   Our fairy princesses go back and forth between their world and ours.  This is a photo of audio but I read the book.  In case you like to read!!

Letters to Zell

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

@gmkb

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunshine45, thank you for that suggestion.  I had not heard of this company, but just now went to their website.  I ordered the box of 6 Comice pears.  I had stopped ordering H&D pears because they always arrived so ripe, so look forward to trying these.  Thank you.

@gmkb

i hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

last week i received a box of the little princess comice pears and a mixed box of ruby reds and naval oranges. if you should have any problems their customer service is wonderful. again, i store mine in my garage and bring a few in at a time. in about a week or so i will order about 8 boxes of just the pears because we keep one box and give the rest for gifts. i wish they were available longer, but we can usually get them through part of january. i make sure to always order when they have the free delivery option, which is usually the first part of the month.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Deb1010again

On that Moose Munch is some dangerous stuff.  I've been known to eat an entire bag in a day.