Honored Contributor

Harrison Ford Mistakenly Tells Control Tower He’s in a Helicopter in Radio Call Before Controversial Landing

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/harrison-ford-mistakenly-tells-control-tower-he%E2%80%99s-...

Honored Contributor

This is just sad. 

"Ford was seen boarding a plane at the Santa Monica Airport on Thursday, just days after the incident. Joined by a co-pilot, he took the captain’s seat of the Cessna 680 two-engine jet."

He doesn't get it.  The report says they're looking into taking his license away... I think that's the way it will have to be.

Trusted Contributor

He needs to have it taken away, and then have to test to get it back.

He was so nonchalant about the big airliner that was under him when he landed on the taxi runway, I really wonder about how his mental health is.

He is 74, if dimentia is going to be a problem for him, this would be the age to show up.

His wife should take it away! She must freak out when he says he is going flying. I know it must be a great hobby for him but he is dangerous now.

Valued Contributor

My husband and daughter just landed at Santa Monica airport this morning.  I was hoping Harrison Ford wasn't there. 

Seriously, they should prevent him from flying while they're investigating him.  Something horrible can happen...

Respected Contributor

As a private pilot, he has to have a minimum of an FAA 3rd class medical certificate. No certificate, no license. It's not a terribly stringent exam, pretty much like an annual wellness exam with a little extra focus on neurological health. The exam does have to be performed by an FAA certified physician, and for someone his age, the certificate is good for two years. I wonder when was the last time he was examined.

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@gabstoomuchI agree with the essence of your post.  Ford needs to have to prove he is still capable of piloting a plane -  he should have both medical clearnace and skill clearnace.

What I do not agree with is assuming his wife has the power to remove him from that pilot's seat.  We'll all read myriad stories about children trying to get their parents to give up their driving licenses without success.

I think the responsibility here goes to both government and several doctors to assure all of us that we are safe if Ford is piloting.  I'mm not even sure why this wasn't done the first time he made headlines.  Scary.

Honored Contributor

This happened twice, in what, 2 days?  I am really concerned that he might have a form of dementia

Honored Contributor

Hey HF, buy a darn ticket and keep the rest of the flying population safe.

Hope his license gets yanked ASAP. He obviously has no clue as to what he is doing.

Respected Contributor

Isn't he married to Callista Flockhart??  By the sounds of things, it's time to pull his license.  The fact that he doesn't seem to take his mistakes seriously is what's frightening.

Honored Contributor

Denial isn't uncommon with advancing age and possible dementia. 

It happened in my extended family and it WAS the adult children who got the license taken away.  Their widowed mother had remarried and her elderly husband was getting in small accidents and had erratic driving.  He and she denied it.

Finally, he drove his car through the garage with her in it and her children reported him and got the the license taken away.

Why was she in denial?  Not long after, she was also diagnosed with Alzheimer's.