Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: Harrison Ford's Explanation of Runway Goof

Since I don't click on links here, I don't know what he said but he's too stinking old and out of it to be flying a plane!!

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

Since I don't click on links here, I don't know what he said but he's too stinking old and out of it to be flying a plane!!

So explain how he passes his flight physical every year.

The FAA described his reasons of confusion not uncommon at that airport.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

So explain how he passes his flight physical every year.

The FAA described his reasons of confusion not uncommon at that airport.

@Scooby Doo     @Love my grandkids

"Too stinkin old"?    Nah.   There are stringent tests with the flight physical that must be met.   If a person meets them, they should be able to fly.

Scooby Doo is right .....  this is one of many incidents that happen at the John Wayne Airport ......  this is not a unique incident.   Of course, if this is the first time someone famous has a problem landing their plane, many people will assume it must be the person's fault.  Not true.   

IMO, the real issue here is that the FAA must closely investigate why this keeps happening and close down runways or taxi lanes until the problem is corrected.  

Honored Contributor

One thing I will say in his behalf. He kept his head, and didn't cause an accident, not everyone would

Respected Contributor

I think it's time for him to turn in his pilot's license before it's too late.  Next time might be the last time...

Honored Contributor

I know a gentleman a lot older than Ford that is still flying high and I know what he goes thru each year to be recertified.  Mistakes happen with humans ... his and the air controllers.  He admitted his, can they admit theirs?

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

According to the chief of neurology at an SF hospital, they can't necessarily detect aging brain issues without an autopsy.

Many people begin having problems well before Ford's age.  With a close older friend of our family, some noticed in his late 60s.

What's significant is a possible pattern, the plane crash and then the flight mishap.  I wonder what his driving has been like?

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

According to the chief of neurology at an SF hospital, they can't necessarily detect aging brain issues without an autopsy.

Many people begin having problems well before Ford's age.  With a close older friend of our family, some noticed in his late 60s.

What's significant is a possible pattern, the plane crash and then the flight mishap.  I wonder what his driving has been like?

@Noel7  As written at the time of this incident here, it is completely unfair to blame the prior plane crash he had in that old plane on Ford. His actions were heroic in that incident -- due to his expertise he was able to land the plane away from nearby homes, rather than crash land somewhere, esp. somewhere populated.  Experienced pilots praised his expertise at piloting that allowed him and everyone else to live.  If I recall correctly, that incident was due to the plane's mechanical failure. Why do you blame Ford for that? He did absolutely nothing wrong and everything right.

QVC Customer Care