Honored Contributor

Re: Harrison Ford's Explanation of Runway Goof

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I think it's time for him to turn in his pilot's license before it's too late.  Next time might be the last time...

In addition to the fact that he is putting other people's lives in jeopardy when he crashes. He seems to have a lot of hubris continuing to fly.

@Trinity11

You are on the same track I was, and then chastised for.  Ford may be just fine, but when driving errors begin to happen, it's important watch for a pattern if there is one, and that means with everyone.

If he had been anyone other than Harrison Ford, his license  would have been revoked.

@Trinity11

Actually, they wouldn't.   Mistakes happen and both air traffic controllers and pilots aren't perfect.   I say give him the benefit of the doubt, like we would expect if in that position.

@Tinkrbl44

When someone is 74 and begins to have driving/piloting mishaps, you don't give them the benefit of a doubt.  You watch them closely for behavioral signs of cognitive decline.  That's to protect them and others.

And if necessary, you prevent them from driving or being a pilot.  My aunt's husband began by having minor mishaps which his family overlooked, after all, they were minor driving issues.  Then one day, with my aunt in the car, he drove the car through the garage door, nearly killing her and himself.

I am not saying HF is there, but that's the thing, there is no test to know for sure.  You hope the family is watching and noting any decline, and that they do something about it if there is.

Honored Contributor

He has had one piloting mishap.  Your post above @Noel7 is what leads me to believe you "blame" him for that first crash of his older plane.  That incident proved only his skill at piloting a plane, not a failure at piloting a plane.  He landed that better in that emergency than a lot of much younger and less experienced pilots would have.  

I do not classify that as a "mishap" that should cause us to be concerned about Ford.  The runway incident - yes.  The first crash - no, not at all. Quite the contrary.

Honored Contributor

'All in all', if I had sufficient money, I'd probably have/hire a flight instructor/pilot 'friend' to accompany me on all of my flights. Just for company and suggestions, etc.  Someone to chat with, etc.  It could become lonely/lonesome up there.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

He has had one piloting mishap.  Your post above @Noel7 is what leads me to believe you "blame" him for that first crash of his older plane.  That incident proved only his skill at piloting a plane, not a failure at piloting a plane.  He landed that better in that emergency than a lot of much younger and less experienced pilots would have.  

I do not classify that as a "mishap" that should cause us to be concerned about Ford.  The runway incident - yes.  The first crash - no, not at all. Quite the contrary.

Again @Pearlee you miss the point.  Luckily, quite a few others understand it.  It would be nice if you stopped beating the same dead horse over and over when you and I are not on the same page.

You have a habit of reporting posts that don't agree with you and having them taken down, which imo is incredibly petty.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

I think it's time for him to turn in his pilot's license before it's too late.  Next time might be the last time...

In addition to the fact that he is putting other people's lives in jeopardy when he crashes. He seems to have a lot of hubris continuing to fly.

@Trinity11

You are on the same track I was, and then chastised for.  Ford may be just fine, but when driving errors begin to happen, it's important watch for a pattern if there is one, and that means with everyone.

If he had been anyone other than Harrison Ford, his license  would have been revoked.

@Trinity11

Actually, they wouldn't.   Mistakes happen and both air traffic controllers and pilots aren't perfect.   I say give him the benefit of the doubt, like we would expect if in that position.

When it comes to the fact that he could end up killing someone other than himself, NO, no benefit of the doubt would come from me.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't judge Mr. Ford's fllying skills, I don't have the knowledge to do so.  

Maybe he has a problem, maybe he doesn't, but I will say it sounds like there may be a pattern at that particular airport that needs addressed as well.  

Honored Contributor

I think it's time for Ford to cease flying.