Esteemed Contributor
On 4/2/2015 deepwaterdotter said:

Can't the police issue a ticket if you don't have a placard or license plate with the ""handicapped"" designation?

Yes

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/3/2015 sophiamarie said:
On 4/3/2015 NoelSeven said:

I don't understand why you say that "what he is doing is not permitted". He has the placard - so what if he chooses to sit in the car. That's his choice. Does he hang the card up while he's in the car? If not, then he should - otherwise I see nothing wrong in what he's doing.

I understand her point. He doesn't need to take up a handicapped space because he won't be walking, he's just sitting. The issue being that someone with trouble walking would have to hike from back farther in the lot while he's just sitting there enjoying the view.

Got it!!! I don't know why but I was thinking "she" was the disabled one and he was being thoughtful of her and parked so she wouldn't have too far to walk. My bad.........Smile

In other news - Noel - there are just some people you can't reason with. WinkWink

Agreed.

My dad can't walk very far, without huffing and puffing, so when I take him somewhere, I park in the disabled spot, and put up the placard.

I'm driving.

He's the passenger.

He's the disabled one.

Should *I* get in to trouble because *I* used a handicapped spot, even though I'm not the one with the disability, and who is driving?

No, I shouldn't.

It's only when I am with him, that I use it.

If someone doesn't like that, tough!

My dad comes first.

Honored Contributor
On 4/3/2015 Plaid Pants said:
On 4/3/2015 NoelSeven said:

I don't understand why you say that "what he is doing is not permitted". He has the placard - so what if he chooses to sit in the car. That's his choice. Does he hang the card up while he's in the car? If not, then he should - otherwise I see nothing wrong in what he's doing.

I understand her point. He doesn't need to take up a handicapped space because he won't be walking, he's just sitting. The issue being that someone with trouble walking would have to hike from back farther in the lot while he's just sitting there enjoying the view.

Got it!!! I don't know why but I was thinking "she" was the disabled one and he was being thoughtful of her and parked so she wouldn't have too far to walk. My bad.........Smile

In other news - Noel - there are just some people you can't reason with. WinkWink

Agreed.

My dad can't walk very far, without huffing and puffing, so when I take him somewhere, I park in the disabled spot, and put up the placard.

I'm driving.

He's the passenger.

He's the disabled one.

Should *I* get in to trouble because *I* used a handicapped spot, even though I'm not the one with the disability, and who is driving?

No, I shouldn't.

It's only when I am with him, that I use it.

If someone doesn't like that, tough!

My dad comes first.

That's perfectly legal. Many handicapped people have someone to drive for them at times.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

About 10 years before she died, my mom was able to get a placard for the car because she was unable to walk long distances due to severe breathing difficulties. She did not drive so I was allowed to use it for my car since I was her primary transportation.

I made very sure that the placard was not in view unless she was in the car.

Honored Contributor
On 4/3/2015 chickenbutt said:

I've had people tell me that I should get a handicap status and told them that I don't feel like I would want to do that. There are a LOT of people who need it much more than I and if you add in all the ones who really don't need it but have it anyway - I just couldn't do it in good conscience.

Some people feel that way, so I wouldn't push it on them.

That's exactly how we feel, CB!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Frequent Contributor
I have a handicap placard that I use since having all 4 major joints replaced. When I finish shopping at big box grocery, I am too tired to walk a far distance in parking lot. Generally I need to limit number of stores I visit in one outing due to my energy level.
Esteemed Contributor

I don't get what I'm seeing here.

If you are deserving of a Handicapped placard, why would you feel that you would be taking it away from someone who is "more deserving?" There is always someone who is more deserving of one thing or another.

How would you know which ones are more deserving anyway? Do you really think that by getting a placard, someone else out there is doing without one? That's not the way it works.

If your doctor feels that you would/could benefit from one, then why would you refuse to get one? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor
On 4/4/2015 sophiamarie said:

If you are deserving of a Handicapped placard, why would you feel that you would be taking it away from someone who is "more deserving?" There is always someone who is more deserving of one thing or another.

How would you know which ones are more deserving anyway? Do you really think that by getting a placard, someone else out there is doing without one? That's not the way it works.

If your doctor feels that you would/could benefit from one, then why would you refuse to get one? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I don't believe the issue is the placard per se. The thread has demonstrated that there are never enough handicapped parking spaces. I imagine those who are saying they don't want to apply for (and use) a placard are more saying they don't feel right taking an already limited parking space from someone who might well have less mobility than they do.

To that I would suggest - get the placard if you qualify. You don't have to use it just because you have it. But wouldn't it be very welcome to have on your "bad days?" Get the placard, but only use it "as needed." You deserve it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor
On 4/4/2015 moonchilde said:
On 4/4/2015 sophiamarie said:

I don't believe the issue is the placard per se. The thread has demonstrated that there are never enough handicapped parking spaces. I imagine those who are saying they don't want to apply for (and use) a placard are more saying they don't feel right taking an already limited parking space from someone who might well have less mobility than they do.

To that I would suggest - get the placard if you qualify. You don't have to use it just because you have it. But wouldn't it be very welcome to have on your "bad days?" Get the placard, but only use it "as needed." You deserve it.

That's my thinking, too Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I have family members who think I should qualify (and ask for) for handicapped parking because I often have bad days with mobility issues that surgeons don't want to tackle, i.e. quasi-unfixable. I have long worked in the medical community and know the requirements are pretty stringent. I seriously doubt I would qualify. It never even occurred to me. But there are some days that it's very difficult to get to and from my car at work or even grocery shop. Never mind that I live up a steep flight of stairs :-( Yet I don't consider myself legally handicapped. There are a lot of people who have painful mobility issues who are not considered handicapped. There has to be a dividing line at some point, otherwise almost anyone over 70 might qualify ;-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all