Honored Contributor

Half-Staff Flags: 5/30, (M) Until Noon only

[ Edited ]

Honor Those Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice

In observance of Memorial Day (5/30), which commemorates

the men and women who died while in the military service,

a President's Proclamation has been made to

lower all American flags to half-staff until NOON only,

then raise to full height from noon to sundown.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Respected Contributor

Re: Half-Staff Flags: 5/30, (M) Until Noon only

This day is so important. I am having my nieces and nephew write a short essay on Memorial Day vs Veteran's Day vs Independence Day. Apparently they don't learn this in school these days. They just think it's a day off.
Respected Contributor

@birkin baby wrote:
This day is so important. I am having my nieces and nephew write a short essay on Memorial Day vs Veteran's Day vs Independence Day. Apparently they don't learn this in school these days. They just think it's a day off.

@birkin baby Nothing new.  I'm a retired Federal employee who worked at an Army medical center for a long time.  Once, about 25 years ago, I overhead a couple of young active duty soldiers talking about what they were going to do on the upcoming holiday off.  One then asked the other what the holiday was & got a "I don't know" response.   I couldn't keep my mouth shut & asked them didn't they know it was Veterans Day.  They both just shrugged their shoulders & said they didn't care, it was just a day off for them.

Respected Contributor

my goodness.  i think a grateful nation could keep them lowered until sunset.  

Honored Contributor

It honors the dead in the morning and living veterans in the afternoon when it is raised. Tradional from at least early 1900s.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

It honors the dead in the morning and living veterans in the afternoon when it is raised. Tradional from at least early 1900s.

This is what my old WWII veteran neighbor told us...

Honored Contributor

Also, I heard on the radio while I was driving home:

A moment of silence on Monday, May 30, at 12:01 p.m.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@birkin baby wrote:

I'm sure they'll be thrilled about that.

Is there a reason why you can't  just explain it to them?

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

interesting.  no wonder people confuse "Memorial" Day  with "Veterans" day.  since memorial denotes those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, i think the flag should be lowered all day to honor the fallen.   i honor living veterans on Veterans Day -  and whenever i have an opportunity. 

Honored Contributor

National Moment of Remembrance: 3pm

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately it's 3:00pm.

The National Moment of Remembrance established by Congress, asks Americans, wherever they are at 3 p.m., local time, on Memorial Day, to pause in an act of national unity for a duration of one minute.

The time 3 p.m. was chosen because it is the time when most Americans are enjoying their freedoms on the national holiday. The Moment does not replace traditional Memorial Day events; rather, it is an act of national unity in which all Americans, alone or with family and friends, honor those who died in service to the United States.