Respected Contributor

@tansy wrote:

My mother got her hair done once a week and babied it to last the week.  It was a shortish teased style.  I would be scratching my head constantly.  

As a teen i I used pink tape on my tendrils and I'd tape a wad of cotton underneath my bangs for a That Girl look.  

lol ....My Mom used to use that pink tape on my bangs or I'd have a huge cow lick 

Honored Contributor

times sure have changed. I see pink and purple and blue hair today

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

What does wrapping your head with toilet paper do? 

@glb613  It's just padding and keeps the style from getting messed up. Remember they didn't get it styled but once a week, lol, so that had to make it last. It was sprayed to death with hairspray and they would wrap in TP at night and put a net over it. I don't see how they could stand it, it must have been itchy. My mom is the biggest clean freak I've ever met yet she didn't wash her hair but once a week. Oh for the sake of beauty. Haha. No blow dryers back in those days. Had to be rolled (set) and they sat under a dryer. My mom's took over two hours!!

Respected Contributor

I'll add that some women rolled their own hair and either let it air dry (forever) or as I got older home dryers were available. My mom worked and we were in all kinds of sports and church activities so she didn't have any time. So she would spend about three hours at the salon on Saturday. I'm sure the professional styling held up better. If you google Priscilla Presley when she married Elvis, that was the style. It was teased to the nines and it did seem many women had thick, thick hair. Also the beauty shop was a social activity. 

Honored Contributor

No. My mom didn't have hairdo rituals while I was growing up. She developed Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was born, so she keeps her hair short and doesn't color it for ease. She also kept her dark hair longer than most, as runs in her family. (Though one sister was entirely gray before 30.)

I wear my hair long and have colored my naturally brown hair red since I was in my 20s because I'd always wanted to be a redhead.

Mom wore her hair in whatever style was fashionable when she was in her 20s and wore it long and straight in the later 60s. At that time she was also wear mod dresses and ponchos. She got it cut short in the early 70s and has worn it short ever since.

Respected Contributor

Do you remember home perms? I can't recall whether they were "Toni" or "Tonette" perms, but I do remember my mom giving me a couple and my brothers complaining about how the solution made the kitchen smell. My hair is naturally wavy now and I wash and set it in hot rollers every night to tame the curls. Go figure. My mom had straight hair that she colored in a champagne blonde for at least a decade. Sometimes she'd have the hair dresser style it in a French twist, like Tippi Hedron (?) hair. But it was teased, sprayed, styled, and sprayed again.

Esteemed Contributor

My hair ritual is: keep layers cut in my past shoulder length hair/ wash and condition/ comb and let air dry.  That's it, that's all.  My hair is naturally wavy and DH and I love my silver locks.

Valued Contributor

My mom would get perms about every 3 months, and I usually gave her those perms.  In between, she would use brush rollers after washing her hair (once a week) and she would get under our bonnet dryer or just let it dry all afternoon (always Sat. because we had church on Sun.). As a child I would get perms too and that continued on into my 30s. I would do a similar thing on Sat. afternoons and sit under the bonnet dryer forever and ever..Thank goodness for hot rollers and hand held dryers!!!  Now I have long wavy thick hair and I just use hot rollers about twice a week when I wash it.  No need for perms, don't know why I ever got them. Just a different day and time. 

I remember as a child I never could do anything with my hair. When I got to be a teen, I let it grow and I think hot rollers came in about that time.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hairdo Rituals

[ Edited ]

Wash it in the shower, turn water off, dry it with a towel, and let it air dry the rest of the way which only takes about 20 minutes because it is so thin.  When dry I run my fingers through it.  That's it.

My mom used pincurls.  So did my sister, right up until the year before she died . . . 2010.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I have a very fine, thin hair which I tease and then use a lift comb and spray to make it look like I have more volume. My daughter always calls it my "Afro pick!"  Lol. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )