Respected Contributor

I always told myself I would never copy my mom’s hairdo rituals. Well, that didn’t happen. When I was a kid, she used to wrap toilet paper around her head to save her hairstyle while she slept on a satin pillow case and walked around the house in a satin quilted robe in the mornings, still toilet-papered, until she showered with a shower cap on. Well, I just came in from letting the dog out on the side of my house while wearing flannel pajamas and a folded piece of toilet paper on my forehead to protect it from the heat of a hot roller. My mom colored her hair from the time I was a baby (she used Lux soap flakes and peroxide back then) until she was 85 years old. I haven’t let myself see my natural hair color in over 7 years. The hairdo legacy lives on! Lol. Do you have a hairdo ritual legacy?

Hairdo Curlers

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I always told myself I would never copy my mom’s hairdo rituals. Well, that didn’t happen. When I was a kid, she used to wrap toilet paper around her head to save her hairstyle while she slept on a satin pillow case and walked around the house in a satin quilted robe in the mornings, still toilet-papered, until she showered with a shower cap on. Well, I just came in from letting the dog out on the side of my house while wearing flannel pajamas and a folded piece of toilet paper on my forehead to protect it from the heat of a hot roller. My mom colored her hair from the time I was a baby (she used Lux soap flakes and peroxide back then) until she was 85 years old. I haven’t let myself see my natural hair color in over 7 years. The hairdo legacy lives on! Lol. Do you have a hairdo ritual legacy?

Hairdo Curlers

@Desert Lily

Nope.    Times have changed.    I like to keep it simple.

Honored Contributor

My Mom couldn't do her own hair so she went to the hairdresser every week. She did the silk bonnet and toilet paper thing too. I was always good with styling my hair and the style was pretty much shampoo and blow dry when I was a teen and beyond. I currently have really short hair and it's super easy to shampoo and blow dry usually twice a week and I don't color my hair.

Honored Contributor

My ma went to the "beauty parlor"  every week of her life.

The last time I went was 1970..........got a terrible haircut.........and haven't been back since.    I am "wash & wear".

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I had waist length hair as a child.  I brushed my hair every morning & night for about 5 minutes.  I rarely used a comb.

Since my 20's I worn a "Ceasars" cut or a crew cut, depending on my mood.  Last summer on my 66th B-day I started letting my hair grow.  So now I have restarted my "brushing ritual" as its all I know.  My hair is now a little pass my shoulders.  To date, I do not own a comb.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My mom never colored her hair, I've colored my hair every color out there since high school. My mom has worn her hair in basically the same style for as long as I can remember. Although at least she ditched that 1960s do I've seen pictures of. It's never been longer than shoulder length though. Mine has been everything from shaved to tailbone length. Our natural hair is completely difference colors and textures. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

My mother got her hair done once a week and babied it to last the week.  It was a shortish teased style.  I would be scratching my head constantly.  

As a teen i I used pink tape on my tendrils and I'd tape a wad of cotton underneath my bangs for a That Girl look.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No, I do not.   Mom curled her hair by pin curls secured with bobby pins, then later switched to brush rollers.   

In junior high I curled my hair on sponge rollers.  In high school I put my long hair on the top of my head Pebbles style and rolled it around 3 soup cans or the largest plastic rollers to make it hang straight and not get wavy.   

I have used a curling iron on my short hair since the 80's, but stopped curling my hair when I retired 4+ years ago.   Relaxed is the way I go now; no mousse, no hair spray.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Hairdo Rituals

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

I had waist length hair as a child.  I brushed my hair every morning & night for about 5 minutes.  I rarely used a comb.

Since my 20's I worn a "Ceasars" cut or a crew cut, depending on my mood.  Last summer on my 66th B-day I started letting my hair grow.  So now I have restarted my "brushing ritual" as its all I know.  My hair is now a little pass my shoulders.  To date, I do not own a comb.

What color(s) currently, @Mz iMac?

Respected Contributor

My mom had Priscilla Presley jet black hair, long and teased. Her hair was so thick. She would sit under the dyer for several hours. And yep, she did the toilet paper wrap too. I would go to the beauty shop with her every Saturday. I thought I was all that. Got to sit in  on all the talk, lol, and read romance magazines. Very fond memories. 

I've always colored my hair too and will as long as I'm able