Respected Contributor

Re: HOW TO FRIGHTEN A MILLENIAL

@stevieb wrote:

As for this whole print vs signature coversation... perhaps when we stop seeing so many forms that still ask us to print our names and then sign our names the distinction will be moot, but we are still seeing a lot of forms asking for both... I suppose those who can't write cursive simply print their names twice... Seems silly...

Yes, they do.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

As for this whole print vs signature coversation... perhaps when we stop seeing so many forms that still ask us to print our names and then sign our names the distinction will be moot, but we are still seeing a lot of forms asking for both... I suppose those who can't write cursive simply print their names twice... Seems silly...

@stevieb I can write cursive but I choose to print my name twice as my signature on some forms. As another OP said the reason for asking for print & cursive is for those whose cursive signature isn't legible.

Honored Contributor

Re: HOW TO FRIGHTEN A MILLENNIAL

I love writing in cursive and love the look of my name in cursive.  I will always sign it that way!

If you don't care to, fine.  Do it your way!

I've seen printing that is illegible, too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DJs mom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb I can write cursive but I choose to print my name twice as my signature on some forms. As another OP said the reason for asking for print & cursive is for those whose cursive signature isn't legible.

@DJs mom  I'd always assumed that was part of the reason. I know my own signature at times can be pretty hard to read, especially when I'm in a hurry... Also, so many people's signatures are more like autographs than actually showing great penmanship, which is probably increasingly a thing of the past other than for calligraphers...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

As time moves forward, many things that were used everyday, cannot even be identified by the next generation.  it's not a put down, just a fact of life.

I have a pair of these that belonged to my paternal grandmother.  I'll bet most people today have no idea what they are unless they look them up on line..  She used one everyday.

BF9EE758-F382-4FB8-8E67-D5DB4F8564DD.jpeg

@Carmie   No idea...a crochet hook?

button hook for shoes worn at the time-before laces on shoes.

I was a History and Geography teacher...and yes, I taught cursive. No, I cant use a smart phone-dont own one.

Respected Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@wildcat fan For signing legal documents they have you print your name, and annicial, and them sign in cursive. When I was in grade school it was just call handwriting. The first time I heard the word cursive I had no idea what that meant.

That is simply not true. A signature in cursive is not required for a legal document.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@BeccaLou wrote:

@wildcat fan For signing legal documents they have you print your name, and annicial, and them sign in cursive. When I was in grade school it was just call handwriting. The first time I heard the word cursive I had no idea what that meant.

That is simply not true. A signature in cursive is not required for a legal document.

@mom2four0418  You are correct. You can print your name or sign an x if you can’t read or write. Some posters don’t know this.

Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
How many here wouldn’t know how to use a smartphone ? 😉😂 Times change. It’s normal.

I have no clue what the photo is either. Doesn’t look like crochet hooks.

My first thought was "crochet hooks."

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Imaoldhippie  ......It might be a joke. It stops being funny when you know it will upset certain posters. Think of others when posting a joke.

@Sheila P-Burg ...This was definitely meant as a joke and I can't imagine why anyone would be upset by it. I can't imagine who the "certain posters" are that would be upset. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma  ...... I have no doubt that you meant for your post as a joke and meant no harm from it. Regretfully there has been several other threads recently  wherein the two generations have become extremely argumentative with each other. All you have to do to know who the "certain posters" are is to locate those threads and read them.