Esteemed Contributor

HELP!! I spilled a cup of coffee on my remotes

I spilled an entire cup of coffee with creamer on my TV and comcast remotes.  Neither work now. Anyone have any ideas...I could use them. I took out the batteries and dried them but no go. This is the big TV in the family room. DH is not happy with me 😞

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP!! I spilled a cup of coffee on my remotes

Can you try the "rice thing" like you would do with a wet cel phone?

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

If you can't  resurrect then, check for new ones on eBay.  That where I get them for my Direct TV.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Can you try the "rice thing" like you would do with a wet cel phone?

I was going to post the same thing.  Verbatim in fact; "the rice thing."

Esteemed Contributor

RELAX..............I tipped my glass of water on the cell phone couple weeks ago - no lights - no time display - no dial tone.  Wiped it off and let it dry and in about an hour it was fine again.  I say:  throw those batteries away - contact points might retain moisture - and leave the battery door open - let it dry out.  It might take a while - so in the meantime - exercise your legs by changing channels.  (the pits I know)  Good luck

Honored Contributor

Call Comcast.  They will send you new remotes at no charge.  If you have a Comcast store in your town, you can exchange your remote there for new ones.  These stores are almost always located in strip malls.

TV remote - Go to your local department store & pick up a universal remote.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

anytime our remotes and/or boxes fail i just take them into our comcast store. they take them and give me new ones. it is pretty easy.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Sounds like some good ideas.  I cover all my remotes, so I've never had that happen.  I hope you get it fixed.  If not, as another poster stated, you can replace them.

People think I'm weird for putting them in plastic, but it does keep them well and the letters/numbers don't get rubbed off.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I spilled coffee on my remote from TWC and didn't know it for several hours.  Nothing much on it worked, so DH said to dry it out, that he and his buddies did that once on a fishing trip somehow.  

I took out the batteries, left the back open, put it on a table where I had an apothecary lamp with an incandescent long bulb that puts out a lot of heat.  I angled the lamp over the remote, not too close to melt it, but it was very warm and dry.  I turned over the remote every ten minutes so both sides would get the heat treatment.

I also set up a fan and blew air at it.  In about 3 hours it was good!  I put in new batteries as well.  Whew.  And that night we watched tv after all.

Respected Contributor

Me?  I'd put on some sexy lingerie, whip up a nice chocolate dessert, and present it to DH posthaste.  :-)

(j/k)