Valued Contributor

Re: HAVE A WEDDING? TELL US ABOUT IT!!

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom Yes, I've been in several of those weddings myself! I won't divulge too many details here, but I've certainly shelled out my fair share! So I can relate to that experience! 

Dress + Accessories + Shoes + Alterations + Bachelorette Party + Bridal Shower Present + Wedding Present = Ouch! Plus I was even asked once to help with food for the bridal party! Eek! 

So, I'm a big fan of small weddings and eloping! (At least if I am going to be in the wedding!) Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

We got married in '94.  We lived in Chicago....I was from MI and hubby was from Toronto so we decided to have the wedding in MI...which saved us a fortune!  I had three bridesmaids (sis, best friend, and best friend's sis who's married to hubby's bro).  The bridesmaid's dresses were a beautiful raw silk material in coral.  Long straight skirt with a matching peplum top...they were just stunning and wearable to other events. Anyway we were getting married in August, the hottest most humid miserable time of year so I had the girls alter the skirts to at the knee....they didn't want to, but did it anyway (best bridesmaids ever!).  Well if anyone could knock it outta the park and look great I pulled it off that day......my mom did my updo with pinned curls....looked professional. I'm ready to walk down the aisle and I had to "p"....nerves.  My bridesmaids follow me to the bathroom and I couldn't get me and the gown in there without help..pffft....so two bridesmaids hold up my gown and they are In the stalls to the left and right of me and my sis is in front of me holding my veil......best girls ever!  We were married in a beautiful basilica where my family attended service.....don't remember much because my feet were killllllling me thanks to new shoes. It rained /drizzled the entire day and it was a cool 70 degrees so the bridesmaids could've had the long skirts...what a fluke.  The reception was at the grand plaza hotel.....great food and locale.  My dad and stepmonster left all the flowers at the church so we had nuttin at the head table..but they paid the bar tab ....so, bonus!  Just a great day with some drama...have it all on Vhs......

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

A  year after my DH & I got married, when we had just paid for our wedding and honeymoon and purchased a new house, my best friend got engaged. She asked me to be her MOH BUT , holy cow, she really did not understand that I and the other bridesmaid had budgetary limits. The brides sister was the third bridesmaid and it seems her cash flow was unlimited as momma was forking out for everything.Anyway, the second bridesmaid and I had to sit this bridzilla down and explain to her that we each had a limited amount of cash to spend on her wedding and that was not going to cover limos for bachlorette party, restaurant for shower , very overpriced dresses she wanted us to buy, and jewelry she wanted us to buy.In the end we canned the bachlorette party and had the shower at my house and my Mom & grandma made the food.We picked out much less expensive dresses too, and the bride bought jewelry for us to wear for the wedding - then her mother asked for it back before we left the reception -- we assumed she returned it & got the money back. 

Valued Contributor

Oh my! Ha ha! That sounds like it was quite the wedding! Yes, a budget is essential I think! That way everyone can commit to what they are able to spend upfront. Everyone has their own financial situation and I think it takes the strain off if everyone knows what's going to be expected. Especially at a younger age when everyone is just starting out! I always plan for a little extra fun money over what I think I'll spend, but I think it's nice to have a ballpark idea!