Honored Contributor

Re: Greedy family members fighting over a will...

We were always poor and never thought about money.  My dear mother died very young at age 49.  Six years later, at age 60, my father remarried and moved to Florida.  He had a sizable pension by then.  He died at age 83, by which time his wife had sent him up here with the clothes on his back, and his shaving kit. 

For the month or so before he died, all he did was grieve to "see her one more time" and she couldn't have cared less.  She and her family did not even attend his funeral, which was really just us . . . his first family.

She even took his ring, given to him by my mom, and which he always said would be my little brother's when he died.  We did not expect, nor did we get anything.  What made us sad was how much he obviously loved this woman, and the way she just tossed him aside at the end.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mzlg wrote:

"...An attorney could help her set up a trust that she can draw from now for her own use (travel, fulfill her bucket list), until she dies, and the rest would be donated to charities she chooses or set up a scholarship for a student ... or there are so many other options ...."

After seeing how "equal" division does not work and learning a lesson from abused trust (and greed), I set up my estate (divorced) in trust; I don't need the trust for living expenses since I live on pension&SS&IRApayout, no debts and carry long-term care insurance. How I want my estate handled is in the trust and is fully protected from those I chose not to receive so much as a dime! There is no need to publically shame, set up a trust!

Honored Contributor

I have to wonder about this woman. 

What kind of person is she?  Has she ever inherited anything? 

What kind of mother was she (if she had children, that is)?

Luckily she didn't name anyone or she could quite possibly be hit with a slander suit.

Have we heard her name or her supposed decendant's names?  Has anyone come forward?  I guess the people this was *aimed* at have been identified by those who know this woman and her relationship to them.

All around messy, whether the kids are that greedy, or the mother is just a disgruntled mother herself.

Respected Contributor

IMO...there is only one thing worse than greed/fighting over a dead persons will/estate and that is the person while they are alive using their estate and will to shame/humiliate/coerce/disown any potential heir.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My dad witnessed greed at its best when his father died.   He and my mother were determined to find a different way to divide their assets for a peaceful settlement; therefore they gave us our inheritance years ago while they were alive, and there is nothing to fight over.   

My husband and I have made it a point to share what we have with our girls while we are alive to see them joy it.  

@RedTop

It's an excellent solution, but obviously not for everyone.  There's always the reasonable concern that the surviving spouse might still need to count on that money, and what are they to do?   Ask the heirs for some of that money back?   lol

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,

Mom has her money, lives in the house for her lifetime, but literally has no other assets.