Respected Contributor

Grammar Lovers and Experts...

[ Edited ]

OK, here is a question for you. We got into a discussion about this at a BBQ the other night. My son was going to light the charcoal and then throw the lighter fluid on.

Being a cautious mother, I said, "Do you not think that you should put the lighter fluid on first and then light the charcoal?"

My DIL (who is actually very sweet and was an English major) corrected me by saying that my question should have been, "Do not you think that you should put the lighter fluid on first...?"

My husband chimed in with, "Don't you think you should put the lighter fluid on first works for me."

My DIL said, "That's exactly why, 'Do not you think' is correct. Do not stands for don't."

About that time, I was wishing I had kept my mouth shut.

Just curious...which way would you have phrased the question? Thanks!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

Re: Grammar Lovers and Experts...

"If I were you, I would apply the lighter fluid first."  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I think I'd just step back before that fire flares up. LOL

I don't know what is correct.  I would have used "don't"

Valued Contributor

I am no English major but I agree with your husband.  I don't think the other ways are wrong but in my opinion they are just "stilted English".  I know that a lot of people are affecting that way of saying "do you not think....."  or do you not know,  instead of saying "Why didn't you... or why not put the.....  or don't you know....In my opinion your son's way is the most stilted even if it is correct.

Honored Contributor

@Santorini  I'm with you on this one.  Good or bad grammar doesn't matter.  I'm going with SAFETY FIRST!!!! 

Squirk fluid first then light it - STAND BACK!  If you don't give the coals a squirk first, how do you think the colas will light???!!! 

Honored Contributor

I believe that she's technically accurate, but modern grammar allows for the way you phrased it. Language evolves. If it didn't, we would all be speaking like characters in Shakespearian plays.

I think the question is moot no matter how you phrase it, though. It seems clear that no, he does not think he should put the lighter fluid on first and then light the charcoal or he would have done it that way. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@santorini wrote:

"If I were you, I would apply the lighter fluid first."  Smiley Happy

Seems like that's the real issue. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DIL is correct, OP is wrong. 

Oh no, the OP is right and I, along with DIL, am wrong. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

First off I would not use any lighter fluid to light the charcoal. It makes your food taste like it. YUCK!!! Tell him to use an electric charcoal starter. You don't need an fluid.

My grammar is lacking so I won't comment. LOL!!! I would never say it the way your DIL said it. That totally sounds stupid.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@santorini  I'm with you on this one.  Good or bad grammar doesn't matter.  I'm going with SAFETY FIRST!!!! 

Squirk fluid first then light it - STAND BACK!  If you don't give the coals a squirk first, how do you think the colas will light???!!! 

That's what I was thinking! I don't like lighting charcoal, which is why I said something. I've seen people in the ER in the past who squirted the fluid on after lighting the charcoal. My brother was a fireman, so my son was taught better.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli