Honored Contributor

Re: Good news at Doctor (could it be?)

[ Edited ]

@Shorty2U

I am happy to see you get some good news. What you eat can make a difference not only in health readings, but also can be mentally uplifting, as you have experienced, from your recent doctors visit.

How one fuels their body and keeps it moving will always be a positive. Keep up the good work.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Congratulations! Are the meat alternatives made with soy protein. My oncologist years ago told me to avoid soy so I would be interested to know if that is the main ingredient.

@Trinity11

Most meat alternatives are made with soy protein. I can't do soy either.

HTH

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

Good for you.  I'm happy that you got great results at the doctor. 

I am tall and slender and when my doctor told me I had bad cholesterol in 2013 - we are talking heart attack walking LDL - bad cholesterol - he said he wanted to put me on cholesterol medication.  My Ma was skinny as a rail and had high cholesterol (I inherited her issues).  I told my doctor, no, give me 6 or 7 months to work on it myself.

I increased plant sterols, cut back on meat and my cholesterol dropped.  No meds for me, lol.

I nearly did cartwheels when he told me.  I was at work, I couldn't do cartwheels, but I did squeal with joy.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Congrats! Whatever the reason, that's great!
Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U wrote:

I never really ate a lot of meat the past years. But I did eat meat. Well recently, due to my 1 granddaughter being vegan and 2 granddaughters and my daughter being vegetarian (the past 2 years) I have started eating vegan (imitation) meats..(They introduced me to the vegan meats).

I am surprised how I love the vegan meatballs (that taste like Italian sausage to me), the vegan chicken sliders, vegan chicken tenders, and the vegan ground beef. So I have been eating that instead most days along with fish. (DH of course wont eat the vegan meats and said they're just OK so he still eats meat when I eat the vegan meats).

Anyway, I had my Dr appointment the other day and I lost 5 lbs (without even dieting which is a miracle because I have had so much trouble losing weight due to lack of exercise with my back issues).

Well not only did I lose weight but for the first time in 5 YEARS while on medication my blood pressure is normal! I couldnt believe it!

I get my cholesterol checked Friday (and I have had high cholesterol forever on meds, which have been switched and doses changed to not  much difference) SO I hope that will have gone down too.

Anyway could it be this small change of vegan meat helped me in the above ways? I think so! Don't get me wrong, I do eat some meat occasionally but I think now I'm not going to eat any real meat, and go completely vegetarian since the above results have happened! Because I am so happy that I got good news at the Dr instead of bad news with my weight and blood pressure!

@Shorty2U

Congratulations on the weight loss and normal blood pressure!  I'm so glad you've found something that works for you!  That's BIG news!  cheerleaders.gifcheerleaders.gif cheerleaders.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all I appreciate your replies and I am going to keep going and hope I lose more weight and keep my BP down.

In answer to the questions; yes the vegan meats have soy protein so I guess I better ask my cancer Dr too when I see him, because I had breast cancer almost 7 years ago (if you are referring to soy being bad in reference to cancer!).

And the brand meatballs I use are Garden and I get them at Giant. I use them in spaghetti with meatless sauce (limiting them to 2 a meal), and in other recipes that call for regular meatballs. Same with the vegan chicken and vegan ground beef, I use those in recipes calling for those.

PS my 1 granddaughter that's vegan sent me videos about animals and meat and I wasn't going to watch them because I thought I will get sick/upset, but I did watch some. So she is mainly the one that originally got me "not eating much real meat." Then I tasted the vegan meats all of them eat and really like them. (Sometimes she does go overboard preaching what she believes in, but I admire her for standing by what she believes in which is animal rights and healthier eating and healthier lifestyles in general).

So I am not tuning back now. Now some of the other foods and drinks she makes I dont care for, but I am going to keep trying new things and I am sure I will find other healthier recipes (with or without vegan meat).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U I don't eat meat and I'm now off cholesterol meds.  You should read Flexitarian. It talks about making small changes and being a flexible vegetarian. It may work for your hubby.  For example, people can still eat meat, but make it a smaller portion, like a size of a side item instead of the main entree portion. Beans other veggies become larger portions. Then have one night that's meatless. 

Yes you you need to check with your cancer Doctor.  If the breast cancer is hormone sensitive, he/she may tell you to avoid soy products. If he/she says it's okay for you to have soy, try Boca burgers All Amercian flame broiled. Taste like a Burger King burger! I also love Morning 'stars bacons, beef crumble and black bean burgers and their sausage patties In the original flavor; don't like the other flavor. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never ate much meat, anyway, and then my husband and I became vegetarians for years. We both gained weight, and I kept joking that we were in the Guinness book as the fattest vegetarians in the world. Our fault because I think we overdid the heavy pasta dishes. We both became anemic, too, so we added in some occasional flush, chicken, and beef. We often use soy ground meat substitute, which is excellent and versatile. We tried a non.-soy one which was terrible with a bitter aftertaste. My question? What's wrong with soy? It is a natural bean!

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE Hi! Yes, soy is a plant, but that plant is in a plant group that has plant estrogen. It can mimic how estrogen behaves in your body. Breast cancer that is estrogen sensitive are usually told to avoid soy. I say check with your doctor. 

I found this on Susan G Komen site about soy and breast cancer.  Hope this helps. 

QUESTIONS ABOUT SOY AND BREAST CANCER
Walk the grocery stores aisles these days and you can’t go too many steps before coming across a food with soy as a main ingredient. Yet, despite such popularity – and in part because of it – soy remains an important and somewhat controversial health topic, particularly when it comes to breast cancer.

Many women are still looking for answers to key questions about soy’s potential risks and benefits: Does eating soy increase my risk of breast cancer? Does it lower my risk? What if I’m a survivor? Ongoing research has helped to answer some of these questions.

What is soy?

Soy is a plant that originated in Asia and is now grown in many places around the globe. The plant’s beans (the soybeans) can be eaten on their own (like edamame) or used to make soy foods (like tofu, miso, tempeh, soy milk and soy sauce). Soy flour and protein are also added to many prepared foods, from breads to breakfast cereals to energy bars.

Soy contains high amounts of isoflavones. Isoflavones belong to a group of substances called phytoestrogens (plant estrogens). As the name implies, they can have certain qualities similar to the hormone estrogen. Because estrogen can play a key role in breast cancer development and survival, there have been many questions about the risks and benefits of diets high in soy. Lab studies of cells have shown that isoflavones can sometimes act like estrogen and promote tumor growth, and at other times act against the effects of estrogen.1-2

Does soy increase the risk of breast cancer?

If there’s one solid conclusion from all the data on soy and breast cancer, it’s that eating moderate amounts of soy foods very likely does not increase the risk of breast cancer. The majority of high-quality studies and analyses have found that soy foods do not increase risk, even when eaten at levels much higher than those typically seen in the U.S.3-4

Does soy lower the risk of breast cancer?

Although there are not enough data to know whether soy may help protect against breast cancer, many studies suggest that it does.3-4 However, it seems the benefit only comes with a pattern of intake that is seen in most Asian countries, where women begin eating soy early life and eat it in amounts many times greater than typically seen in the U.S.4 In Japan, for example, soy intake ranges from 25 mg to around 50 mg per day. In the U.S., intake ranges from less than 1 mg to 3 mg per day.5

Results from an analysis that combined findings from multiple studies in Asian populations found that women who ate high amounts of soy had a 25 percent lower risk of breast cancer compared to those who ate lower amounts.6 When the same analyses were done in studies of U.S. and other Western populations, there was no link between soy and breast cancer risk.6

As a survivor, is soy safe?

Though the estrogen-like properties of soy seem like they could increase the risk of breast cancer recurrence or mortality (death), current studies suggest that eating moderate amounts of soy foods is safe for breast cancer survivors.7-9

As a survivor, does soy improve survival and lower the chances of recurrence?

Current evidence suggests that a diet high in soy may improve survival and lower the risk of recurrence in women with breast cancer.7-9 The benefits don’t appear limited to Asian populations either.

One analysis combined data from three large, long-running studies of survivors from both Asian and Western countries. It found that women who ate at least 10 mg of soy per day after a breast cancer diagnosis had a 25 percent lower risk of recurrence compared to those eating less than 4 mg per day.9

However, soy is not currently recommended as a way for breast cancer survivors to lower the risk of recurrence. There are still some open questions about these findings because the studies were looking at many different types of soy, and because women who regularly eat soy simply tend to be healthier than those who don’t.9

What about soy supplements?

Most studies looking at soy and breast health have focused on soy foods rather than soy supplements.10

In the lab, researchers can separate soy proteins into individual compounds, called isolates. Individual isolates do not occur in nature. This is similar to say, vitamin A. While many natural things contain vitamin A, pure vitamin A (alone) does not appear in nature. Isolates, like pure vitamin A, can only be created in a lab. Because soy supplements are created in a lab, they can contain individual soy protein isolates.

Some lab studies of cells have shown that soy protein isolates may increase cancer growth.2 So, soy supplements are not currently recommended.

What about soy and hot flashes?

Overall, studies have not shown that soy foods or soy supplements help with hot flashes.11

Should soy be part of an overall healthy diet?

Though soy’s breast health benefits are still unclear, moderate amounts of soy are likely safe to eat and can be part of an overall healthy diet.

Soybeans are high in fiber, healthy oils and protein. Cutting back on animal products by moving toward a more plant-based diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grain and legumes (like black beans, peanuts and soybeans) has overall health benefits and can also help with weight control – a key factor in breast cancer risk.

Soy supplements, however, are not recommended.

Summary

There’s been a lot of study on a possible link between soy and breast cancer. Current research suggests that eating soy at higher levels typically seen in Asian countries may lower the risk of breast cancer. Eating moderate levels of soy may also lower the risk of recurrence and mortality in breast cancer survivors, but more studies are needed to confirm these findings.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@makeup addict wrote:

@libbyannE Hi! Yes, soy is a plant, but that plant is in a plant group that has plant estrogen. It can mimic how estrogen behaves in your body. Breast cancer that is estrogen sensitive are usually told to avoid soy. I say check with your doctor. 

I found this on Susan G Komen site about soy and breast cancer.  Hope this helps. 

QUESTIONS ABOUT SOY AND BREAST CANCER
Walk the grocery stores aisles these days and you can’t go too many steps before coming across a food with soy as a main ingredient. Yet, despite such popularity – and in part because of it – soy remains an important and somewhat controversial health topic, particularly when it comes to breast cancer.

Many women are still looking for answers to key questions about soy’s potential risks and benefits: Does eating soy increase my risk of breast cancer? Does it lower my risk? What if I’m a survivor? Ongoing research has helped to answer some of these questions.

What is soy?

Soy is a plant that originated in Asia and is now grown in many places around the globe. The plant’s beans (the soybeans) can be eaten on their own (like edamame) or used to make soy foods (like tofu, miso, tempeh, soy milk and soy sauce). Soy flour and protein are also added to many prepared foods, from breads to breakfast cereals to energy bars.

Soy contains high amounts of isoflavones. Isoflavones belong to a group of substances called phytoestrogens (plant estrogens). As the name implies, they can have certain qualities similar to the hormone estrogen. Because estrogen can play a key role in breast cancer development and survival, there have been many questions about the risks and benefits of diets high in soy. Lab studies of cells have shown that isoflavones can sometimes act like estrogen and promote tumor growth, and at other times act against the effects of estrogen.1-2

Does soy increase the risk of breast cancer?

If there’s one solid conclusion from all the data on soy and breast cancer, it’s that eating moderate amounts of soy foods very likely does not increase the risk of breast cancer. The majority of high-quality studies and analyses have found that soy foods do not increase risk, even when eaten at levels much higher than those typically seen in the U.S.3-4

Does soy lower the risk of breast cancer?

Although there are not enough data to know whether soy may help protect against breast cancer, many studies suggest that it does.3-4 However, it seems the benefit only comes with a pattern of intake that is seen in most Asian countries, where women begin eating soy early life and eat it in amounts many times greater than typically seen in the U.S.4 In Japan, for example, soy intake ranges from 25 mg to around 50 mg per day. In the U.S., intake ranges from less than 1 mg to 3 mg per day.5

Results from an analysis that combined findings from multiple studies in Asian populations found that women who ate high amounts of soy had a 25 percent lower risk of breast cancer compared to those who ate lower amounts.6 When the same analyses were done in studies of U.S. and other Western populations, there was no link between soy and breast cancer risk.6

As a survivor, is soy safe?

Though the estrogen-like properties of soy seem like they could increase the risk of breast cancer recurrence or mortality (death), current studies suggest that eating moderate amounts of soy foods is safe for breast cancer survivors.7-9

As a survivor, does soy improve survival and lower the chances of recurrence?

Current evidence suggests that a diet high in soy may improve survival and lower the risk of recurrence in women with breast cancer.7-9 The benefits don’t appear limited to Asian populations either.

One analysis combined data from three large, long-running studies of survivors from both Asian and Western countries. It found that women who ate at least 10 mg of soy per day after a breast cancer diagnosis had a 25 percent lower risk of recurrence compared to those eating less than 4 mg per day.9

However, soy is not currently recommended as a way for breast cancer survivors to lower the risk of recurrence. There are still some open questions about these findings because the studies were looking at many different types of soy, and because women who regularly eat soy simply tend to be healthier than those who don’t.9

What about soy supplements?

Most studies looking at soy and breast health have focused on soy foods rather than soy supplements.10

In the lab, researchers can separate soy proteins into individual compounds, called isolates. Individual isolates do not occur in nature. This is similar to say, vitamin A. While many natural things contain vitamin A, pure vitamin A (alone) does not appear in nature. Isolates, like pure vitamin A, can only be created in a lab. Because soy supplements are created in a lab, they can contain individual soy protein isolates.

Some lab studies of cells have shown that soy protein isolates may increase cancer growth.2 So, soy supplements are not currently recommended.

What about soy and hot flashes?

Overall, studies have not shown that soy foods or soy supplements help with hot flashes.11

Should soy be part of an overall healthy diet?

Though soy’s breast health benefits are still unclear, moderate amounts of soy are likely safe to eat and can be part of an overall healthy diet.

Soybeans are high in fiber, healthy oils and protein. Cutting back on animal products by moving toward a more plant-based diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grain and legumes (like black beans, peanuts and soybeans) has overall health benefits and can also help with weight control – a key factor in breast cancer risk.

Soy supplements, however, are not recommended.

Summary

There’s been a lot of study on a possible link between soy and breast cancer. Current research suggests that eating soy at higher levels typically seen in Asian countries may lower the risk of breast cancer. Eating moderate levels of soy may also lower the risk of recurrence and mortality in breast cancer survivors, but more studies are needed to confirm these findings.

Thank you. According to the article it is bad, then it's good. Totally confusing, isn't it? Yikes!