Esteemed Contributor

Going to movies? Best movie?

[ Edited ]

What is the best movie you saw all year?

DH and I go to movies almost every Sunday the past years (and before that pretty regularly). It is our date day (except for bad weather or other reasons we cant go some weeks).

I saved all of our ticket stubs from when we started dating in 1999, through our marriage.

They used to be harder paper like cardboard but the past few years the stubs are thin paper so I also make a list of the movies we see in theatres now, in case one day the thin paper tickets disintegrate.

Anyway, today I got out my list for the past year (exactly one year counting today), and see that we saw 35 movies IN the theatre in one year, (that's not even counting movies we also see on HBO or Red box rentals).

I couldn't believe it! (And our friends call us the movie critics and think we should have a blog online..lol)

We see a wide variety of types of movies from toons with the grandkids, to dramas, romantic comedies, chick flicks, comic book movies, the list goes on.

I might add we go to see movies the other one of us would want to see more and we usually both end up loving the same movies (but not always). And DH and I rate them from 1 to 10 when we come out of the movie and debate them IF we don't agree..lol..

Well today we saw LA LA LAND. We both came out with tears and in awe. (something that doesn't always happen, that a movie touches us like this did).

DH and I both said it was the best movie we saw in a year. Cue tonights Globe awards and score because La La Land won big. Maybe we should be movie critics?

So anyway I was just wondering what your favorite movie is from the last year? Also I recommend everyone see LA LA LAND because it is entertaining, romantic, magical, thought provoking, and very well done. 2 other favorites this year were (the new) Petes Dragon and Deep Water Horizon to name a few.

The only 2 we did not totally agree on in the past year or so were I loved Joy and Passengers a lot, and he thought they were both OK.

You?

PS we go in the morning most times and its only full once in a whie, sometimes we are the only ones there. We also have a 5 dollar theatre nearby we go to sometimes.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Re: Going to movies? Best movie?

I expected to enjoy Manchester by the Sea but it was just too depressing for my husband and me.  

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U

What a great idea....to have all the ticket stubs from all those years of date nights !

we were pretty steady Friday night movie goers, but this year backed off since we thought the choices didn't sound that good.

Anyway, definitely plan to see La La Land. My fave of the year was Moana. Love love loved that movie. The music was just fabulous and the story and artistry just wonderful (:

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed" Love and Friendship " with Kate Beckinsale. It is based on Jane Austin's , " Lady  Susan. " It is sly and witty, just a fun movie.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

After watching the "lowlights" of the Golden Globe Awards last night, I won't be going to any movies. 

Trusted Contributor

I love ALLIED starring Brad P. and Marianne Cottiard.  Beautiful film, well done.  AND IT BOMBED!  I was  alone in the theater.  

Respected Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

I love ALLIED starring Brad P. and Marianne Cottiard.  Beautiful film, well done.  AND IT BOMBED!  I was  alone in the theater.  

I wanted to see it but after the publicity about him and the filming decided against it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We went to three recently,

Hacksaw ridge, Loved it.     Andrew Garfield was great

Rouge One, so so, computer created actors are a turn off....

Passengers, liked it

Will be going to Silence, can't wait   Andrew Garfield again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hidden Figures

Rogue One

Honored Contributor

I've only seen two movies lately- La La Land and Jackie. I didn't care for either one to be honest. 

La La Land made me sad for the rest of the day. 

And I I didn't care for Natalie Portman's performance at all in Jackie. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?