Honored Contributor

Go Fund Me Requests!!

[ Edited ]

Let me start off with an expression a former coworker used to say:  I help the needy, not the greedy.

Lately, so many people are starting GoFundMe pages, especially on Face Book.  In the last 3 months, four people have put them up for various 'needs'.

Last week there were two.  One I feel bad that I did not give to.....a former student who attended the school where I worked was running, had an asthma attack and died.  I hadn't seen her in three years but the family was requesting donations to attain $10,000.  The mom got $3500.  The child was only sixteen and most don't think death will happen that soon.

The other from last week was by a spoiled former coworker of mine.  She was one of the pets of the principal because her mother and the principal were friends, which is how she got the job.  She would go out most days, buying lunch and stay as long as she wanted.  On Face Book, she puts pictures of everywhere she goes which is usually shopping and restaurants.  Oh, sporting events for the kids.  Takes pictures of her food.  Every time her kids go to the emergency room, which is often, she takes pics of that, too, for FB.

This former coworker has three kids and is a very doting mother.  One of the boys is in little league and this weekend past, she, her sister and all of the kids went on a trip so her son could play.  This is a nice thing to do but don't ask me to pay for it.  By the way, in most of the pictures, there is her Louis Vitt.....handbag (can't spell it) sitting next to her.  I don't know if it's real but even the fakes are pricey, I think.  If real, it's at least $2000.  She was requesting donations to equal $5000.  She got around $1500.

In my opinion, you should plan for this, not beg other people to pay for your pleasure.  If you don't have the money, you don't go.  I would never give money to someone that is frivolous with their money yet begs for mine.

How do you all feel about GoFundMe requests?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Frequent Contributor

I so agree with you...I have been on the GOFund me site and some of the requests are appalling.  BTW...the reason I was on the site is to check out a co worker's requests...another example of being "greedy".  An example..a mom couldn't pay rent one month and had pics of her kids so people would feel sorry for her.  And who knows what some of these people do with the $$$??  I simply don't get it.  What happened to pride?  Obviously, some are legit..but many are just money grabs.

Honored Contributor

It depends on who is asking and why.  Many are in legitimate need.

Honored Contributor

@KimmC wrote:

I so agree with you...I have been on the GOFund me site and some of the requests are appalling.  BTW...the reason I was on the site is to check out a co worker's requests...another example of being "greedy".  An example..a mom couldn't pay rent one month and had pics of her kids so people would feel sorry for her.  And who knows what some of these people do with the $$$??  I simply don't get it.  What happened to pride?  Obviously, some are legit..but many are just money grabs.

Yes, @KimmC and @Noel7.  Some are legit.  Such as the sudden family death.  But $5000 for a trip with your kids?  They drove so I can't see needing $5000.  But that's just me, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

My issue with this site isn't that the people are greedy  -  it's that unless they are someone you know there's no way to tell whether their cause is honest and legit.  I give to those I know personally who are in need or through agencies that have a shot at screening requests, not anonymous websites.

Frequent Contributor

If you get a chance go on the Go Fund me site to check out some of the requests.  A real eye opener!

Honored Contributor

I call go fund me requests "cyber-begging".  This is not how I donate to charity.  It encourages financial irresponsibility.  Everyone should have a cushion of funds for emergencies or at least a source for a legitimate loan.  If a funeral is involved, the biggest and fanciest is not necessary.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Re: Go Fund Me Requests!!

[ Edited ]

Sure there are some legitimate requests.

Overall though imo people who would never consider panhandling on the sidewalk are doing the same thing on the internet.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Go Fund Me Requests!!

[ Edited ]

I agree, @Kachina624.  Funerals cost a lot but you can be frugal if you're broke.  My mother's insurance policy was for $5000 five years ago when she died.  I purposely made it for a low premium so that there would be nothing left over to fight over.  We chipped in about a thousand more and that was it.

It might sound heartless but if you have no money, do a cremation.

Trusted Contributor

A few of my friends were just talking about the go fund me pages.  I also think is is cyber begging.  I know some of them are really in need but others are just plain greed.  My friends grandchildren come to visit the whole summer and he was saying how expensive it was for him to take them places and feed them.  I jokingly told him he should start a go fund me page because some of them were really ridiculous.   I agree with you Foxxie.  People have no shame nowdays.

Jessa