Respected Contributor

Giving Other Members Opinions vs Advice

[ Edited ]

Did you ever wonder why there is not a more defined line as to what information/direction/advice people are providing other posters?  I mean some of the things I've read surprise me.  People are giving out medical and emotional advice stating they are or were in a certain profession, and some are asking outright guidance relating to religion.  I wonder how qualified the people answering the questions are?  Are they real preachers or men/women of the cloth?   I know we are all responsible for choosing where we seek our information but I was just curious why there isn't clarification in the guidelines.

Respected Contributor

Re: Giving Other Members Opinions vs Advise

I can only speak for myself:  I might seek information or suggestions, such as advice about something innocuous here, like a skin care line, but not anything deeply personal like medical, financial, etc.

Honored Contributor

It's the anonymous internet, you get what you pay for.  I get the sense that a lot of folks just come here for the interaction, be it true or false.

Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

Did you ever wonder why there is not a more defined line as to what information/direction/advise people are providing other posters?  I mean some of the things I've read surprise me.  People are giving out medical and emotional advise stating they are or were in a certain profession, and some are asking outright guidance relating to religion.  I wonder how qualified the people answering the questions are?  Are they real preachers or men/women of the cloth?   I know we are all responsible for choosing where we seek our information but I was just curious why there isn't clarification in the guidelines.

Because it is a chat board on the internet.  Take what you read with a grain of salt, check information out, and get to know what posters are reliable.  Isn't that like "stove hot--don't touch?"  Or in other words, pretty common and accepted knowledge?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oops--posted before I finished.  DUH!  SORRY!
Esteemed Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

Did you ever wonder why there is not a more defined line as to what information/direction/advise people are providing other posters?  I mean some of the things I've read surprise me.  People are giving out medical and emotional advise stating they are or were in a certain profession, and some are asking outright guidance relating to religion.  I wonder how qualified the people answering the questions are?  Are they real preachers or men/women of the cloth?   I know we are all responsible for choosing where we seek our information but I was just curious why there isn't some

There was a similar thread in the Wellness Forum awhile back. I can only answer for myself. Unless I am specifically ASKED for advice, my comments should be taken as a suggestion or opinion.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sparklestar wrote:

Did you ever wonder why there is not a more defined line as to what information/direction/advise people are providing other posters?  I mean some of the things I've read surprise me.  People are giving out medical and emotional advise stating they are or were in a certain profession, and some are asking outright guidance relating to religion.  I wonder how qualified the people answering the questions are?  Are they real preachers or men/women of the cloth?   I know we are all responsible for choosing where we seek our information but I was just curious why there isn't clarification in the guidelines.

As a note, "advice" is what you give out,  to "advise" is to give someone advice.  If you are like me, you often type one word for another. . . no big deal, but someone out there might be confused.  It's one of those English language things people have a hard time with.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine that many people accept suggestions and advice as gospel (no pun intended). It's people's experiences - sometimes just personal experiences, sometimes reinforced by their profession. Some try hard to come across as a definitive One True resource, but even within professions it's often still just opinions, and differing ones, so - why take anything anyone says as any more than opinion and suggestion - because, it isn't. If people don't know the difference, that's on them. The entire world (or internet forums) can't be expected to protect the terminally naive.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sparklestar wrote:

As a note, "advice" is what you give out,  to "advise" is to give someone advice.  If you are like me, you often type one word for another. . . no big deal, but someone out there might be confused.  It's one of those English language things people have a hard time with.

Image result for animated eye rolling emoji

Honored Contributor

No, I do not wonder about the clarification of guidelines.  As adults we are personally responsible for our own choices.  Reading others personal experiences or their suggestions, are simply reading material for me.  In the end, I will always work with my health professional for my answers.   

Most people seem to reach out for a support system here, which I think is perfectly acceptable.