Esteemed Contributor

Re: George & Barbara Both Hospitalized

I am afraid that they will soon pass.

Pneumonia + the elderly can be a deadly combo.

Esteemed Contributor

Sad to hear this news. 

I thought the photo with her and her dog were what George kept with him during WWII.  He'd get teased by it as Barbara looked so young. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

I believe this happens a lot to couples who have been together for so long.  My in-laws who are 83 and have been married for 65 years are often in the hospital at the same time!  When one gets sick, the other one gets sick.  One time they both had surgeries on the same day!   Those of us who lived close by would go from room to room to visit them as they recovered! 

And in fact, they were both in the hospital again just last week!  She got sick with a kidney infection, and he fell on his way in to take her in the ER, so they both were in the hospital for 3 days last week!!

Best wishes to the Bushes for a quick recovery.

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Sad to hear this news. 

I thought the photo with her and her dog were what George kept with him during WWII.  He'd get teased by it as Barbara looked so young. 

I am sure he had several since they were so in love.  I am only going by what I read in John Meachum's book and his interviews personally with President Bush. 

I just keep thinking if it as to happen then let them go together and I know Robin is waiting for them.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

The time is coming ,when all of the leaders that lived and fought for democracy during WW2, will be gone, and we will be  the poorer for it

I'm glad ,I am old enough to remember ,their courage and sacrifice

You know @cherry you are so right.

My grandfather and my great uncles all served in WW II and while they didn't sit and talk any 'war stories' (most from that generation didn't) and I don't mean to diminish their service during the war, I think equally courageous is their living after the war.

They came home, built families, and a strong and vibrant nation. They moved on and ahead, giving so much and asking so little. 

The horrors of war visit all generations who serve, but these men and women seemed to stand even stronger and taller after their service. I was always amazed at their steadfast strength and ability to continue with their lives. 

Most are gone now, and I too am glad that I've know them. I'm even more happy that my son (20) is old enough to have know the kind of people they were. In another generation, people will be so removed from what truly courageous souls they truly were.

And as to George and Barbara, I hope they are both feeling much better and home soon.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It really is telling, that most of us  say how devoted they were ,what a loving couple they are, Out of all the achievements  we speak of their commitment to family, each other. In the end again we see, love  is the Most important thing we have.What a blessing they share, in the end this is all we really have...Maryanne

Honored Contributor

Keeper of the koi, I agree with you fully.  The family's commitment to one another and full-hearted support always impressed me.  I believe that Barbara Bush's straightforward and no-nonsense style had a great influence on all family members.  And she smiled often, which helps.  

She and the elder Bush had to endure the loss of a child, and they endured.  They always had a spark of life about them, be it summering in Kinnebunkport of jumping from a plane at 90.

One thing that I recalled after seeing Jeb Bush suffer through the debates was that Barbara, years prior to Jeb's throwing his hat in the ring, was adamant when she said, "Not Jeb."   She often reinterated that there had been enouhg Bushes given to the presidency, but she would simply say, "Not Jeb," as though she was trying to keep Bush-for-President-snatching people away.  The feeling I got was that she is a mother who knows her children.   I think and she knew this son would not like the rough-and-tumble of a presidential run.  This is just my opinion.  He did well as Governor of Florida, but a presidential run is something completely different, I believe. 

Respected Contributor

Prayers for both George and Barbara. Old age is not easy for many.
Honored Contributor

I mixed things up a bit in my post above (I should never make changes and stop sentences where I continued on in the original writing).  But I think you got my drift.

Barbara has a keen understanding of all her children, their strengths and weaknesses.  She has wisdom, I think.

Honored Contributor

And Barbara repeatedly said, "No more Bushes."   She did not think less of Jeb, she just knew his nature.