Valued Contributor

Re: Gary Sinise Sends Over 40 Vets to World War II Museum

Tom Hanks has also been very involved in supporting veterans. In his case, he may only be "tooting his own horn."Smiley Wink  So sorry if thread blending is not proper forum etiquette.

The National WWII Museum Honors Tom Brokaw and Tom Hanks with American Spirit Award at New York Event

NEW ORLEANS (February 25, 2015) — When The National WWII Museum first opened its doors on June 6, 2000, as The National D-Day Museum, legendary broadcaster Tom Brokaw and award-winning actor Tom Hanks were already among the ranks of its supporters. It was a natural fit for two men who have done so much to honor the personal stories of World War II, and the beginning of an enduring friendship with the Museum. Both Brokaw and Hanks have worked tirelessly throughout their careers to document the World War II story, educating millions of Americans about our shared history and strengthening the legacy of the greatest generation. On February 24, The National WWII Museum honored their remarkable careers with the presentation of its American Spirit Award. (more)

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/media/press-releases/american-spirit-award-2015.html

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

He's always done a lot of work with Vets. There are conflicting stories but it looks like his show "Criminal Minds - Beyond Boarders" is coming BACK on the air.

----

I realize that this is a typo, so I apologize if this post is deemed  rude, but this show title gave me a real laugh.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Posters on these forums hate any Hollywood persons no matter what. Just read them.

With all due respect @proudlyfromNJ as contentious as these boards can get I have not found this thread or the one about Tom Hanks terribly biased.

For me, both of these gentlemen have done a ton to support many great causes while remaining in the background and not using worldwide forums to promote their beliefs which personally I appreciate.

I myself don't see it as a matter of Hollywood bias, it is how you use your voice that is important and both of these gentlemen do a great job of supporting their causes without crossing into forums that may or may not support their thoughts and opinions and make people crazy.

Good on you for both of them, great people!  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I've always like Gary Sinise.  Good guy.

Honored Contributor

Thank you Gary. He is a humble and patriotic guy who loves his country.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Posters on these forums hate any Hollywood persons no matter what. Just read them.

I've never gotten that impression at all!  

Gary Sinise, as Bill O'Reilly says, is a true patriot.

I've seen the hate mentioned over and over, over the years.  The Oscars always bring it out, and when any of them get a divorce.

Honored Contributor

I've admired Gary Sinise for a long time, he's a proud supporter of our vets and does a lot for them.

I also like him as an actor and was happy to hear his show may be coming back.

Honored Contributor

I've seen "hatred" mentioned before in conjunction with Hollywood.  In my case, it isn't hatred of the people who make up the industry. In many cases, I feel sorry for them.

As a member of the public, I do deplore the use of their platform to scorn those who depart from their values, and to lecture others, especially when their lifestyles do not exactly put them in a position to do so.  The lack of intellectual diversity in their products, i.e. films, is so unfortunate.  There is very little diversity of thought, to the detriment of the industry, in my opinion.

A number of the "lower-downs" in the field, have testified to the fact that they must hide their true viewpoints, else be driven out and actually prevented from working.  The kind of monopolistic world view that Hollywood presents is unhealthy, in that it screens out and attempts to marginalize those who would offer diversity.

That's just my opinion, and it isn't rooted in hatred, but an admittedly imperfect attempt at critical analysis of a very influential segment of our society.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I've seen "hatred" mentioned before in conjunction with Hollywood.  In my case, it isn't hatred of the people who make up the industry. In many cases, I feel sorry for them.

As a member of the public, I do deplore the use of their platform to scorn those who depart from their values, and to lecture others, especially when their lifestyles do not exactly put them in a position to do so.  The lack of intellectual diversity in their products, i.e. films, is so unfortunate.  There is very little diversity of thought, to the detriment of the industry, in my opinion.

A number of the "lower-downs" in the field, have testified to the fact that they must hide their true viewpoints, else be driven out and actually prevented from working.  The kind of monopolistic world view that Hollywood presents is unhealthy, in that it screens out and attempts to marginalize those who would offer diversity.

That's just my opinion, and it isn't rooted in hatred, but an admittedly imperfect attempt at critical analysis of a very influential segment of our society.

A thoughtfully phrased post @Oznell. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all discuss issues without "hate" or it's numerous synonym entering into the discussion at all?

I would assume that we've all thought some of these thoughts in the last several months, irrespective of what "side" were coming from.

I'm tired and sad to be on any side at all. I applaud the efforts of Gary Sinise AND Tom Hanks, and everyone else who is WORKING to make lives better without considering issues through the "all of us are absolutely right and all of them are absolutely wrong" filter. 

Trusted Contributor

Gary Sinese, who gives of his time AND money, is a class act.  Just goes about his passion to help vets.  Does not lecture the public.  He is a truly good person.