Honored Contributor

GIFTS, CELEBRATIONS AND FAMILIES - THE EVOLUTION

[ Edited ]

I am continually bemused by people's vehement insistence that the past way of doing things and experiencing things is "better" than the way things are now, and being huffy about it or judgmental about differences.

Sure, we all have preferences for ourselves, and many look fondly on the past - but times change. What was fun, great, valued, worthy, etc. in a past generation may not be the same now, and new customs and likes may be the norm. That's the way it's been since man evolved out of the African savannah.

To many I would be considered an "old lady" - but that doesn't automatically mean all my likes and dislikes, wants, needs, etc. are stuck in the past. I "move with the times", to use a horrible cliche. I may not love something "new" and becoming "the usual", but I understand I'm not going to change it, or people, and whining or complaining about it only makes people regard you as a crabby old fahrt. I either appreciate and embrace something new (from attitude to technology) or choose not to use it/do it, but I don't condemn large groups of people as being bad, horrible, wrong, morally inferior or extravagant for choosing things I don't choose. 

To each their own, and that's a good thing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: GIFTS, CELEBRATIONS AND FAMILIES - THE EVOLUTION

I agree.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde

Well said...and you are NOT an old lady.  I have met some oldsters in their 20's and it is not a pretty event !!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Some traditions are nice and should continue. 

Others....like putting real candles on real Christmas trees....uh, no!  I love my prelit fake tree.

Honored Contributor

@septemberNot sure what you mean by "should."

I fully understand a family group wanting to establish traditions that make them feel like members of a strong family, but I also feel there are many ways to do that and that families can change the specifics of their traditions over the years while maintaining the underlying basis for their traditions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

I am continually bemused by people's vehement insistence that the past way of doing things and experiencing things is "better" than the way things are now, and being huffy about it or judgmental about differences.

Sure, we all have preferences for ourselves, and many look fondly on the past - but times change. What was fun, great, valued, worthy, etc. in a past generation may not be the same now, and new customs and likes may be the norm. That's the way it's been since man evolved out of the African savannah.

To many I would be considered an "old lady" - but that doesn't automatically mean all my likes and dislikes, wants, needs, etc. are stuck in the past. I "move with the times", to use a horrible cliche. I may not love something "new" and becoming "the usual", but I understand I'm not going to change it, or people, and whining or complaining about it only makes people regard you as a crabby old fahrt. I either appreciate and embrace something new (from attitude to technology) or choose not to use it/do it, but I don't condemn large groups of people as being bad, horrible, wrong, morally inferior or extravagant for choosing things I don't choose. 

It's often good to be progressive, but sometimes folks just like to ventillate... Sometimes they honestly feel the need to rant and sometimes they rant because they see what they held dear evaporating, they don't like it and, quite honestly, they're scared... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

When we bought our first "fake" tree with lights, I had a great sigh of gratitude. No more trekking through the mountains along with 150 others with tree permits --our kids up to their necks in snow; or picking through tree lots in the freezing hoping to find the "perfect" tree
Whew happy days are here
Enjoying the decorating and each other
Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

Some traditions are nice and should continue. 

To be sure - but not "mandatory" for all. I know what you mean ;-)

Tradition can be wonderful, as long as there is room for new traditions to start too.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

It's often good to be progressive, but sometimes folks just like to ventillate... Sometimes they honestly feel the need to rant and sometimes they rant because they see what they held dear evaporating, they don't like it and, quite honestly, they're scared... 

There is venting, and there is crabbing. Most of us can tell the difference. Sharing one's favorite nostalgias of the past isn't the same as passing judgment of anyone whose customs have evolved or changed or are different.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

tds.gif (250×194)

tumblr_mj4bz7NKNX1s1nrquo1_500.gif (500×263)