Honored Contributor

Re: Former Olympic skier Picabo Street pushes father down stairs

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Hey, wait. 

The report I saw said HE attacked HER.  I can't remember all he did to her, but I do remember he pulled a large chunk of her hair out.

I'll wait to hear the rest of the story.  He sounds like an abusive father and maybe she just snapped and she pushed him away from her.

Same here. It's hard to know without having been there, but the article I read said the police believe that she was the aggressor and is facing assault charges and three counts of domestic violence in front of a child.

I can't help but wonder if he had been abusive to her when she was younger and she finally snapped,

Or maybe she just snapped.

Esteemed Contributor

Nobody pushes our buttons like family members can.  Sad situation, feel sorry for the childen to witness all that.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Hey, wait. 

The report I saw said HE attacked HER.  I can't remember all he did to her, but I do remember he pulled a large chunk of her hair out.

I'll wait to hear the rest of the story.  He sounds like an abusive father and maybe she just snapped and she pushed him away from her.

Same here. It's hard to know without having been there, but the article I read said the police believe that she was the aggressor and is facing assault charges and three counts of domestic violence in front of a child.

I can't help but wonder if he had been abusive to her when she was younger and she finally snapped,

Or maybe she just snapped.

I wonder that as well. Maybe that will be a part of the investigation...like whether or not there were any prior incidents or accusations. Pushing an elderly man down stairs could have had a much more serious outcome than it did. She's lucky she's not facing more serious charges. 

I also thought what she said on the 911 call was interesting. She said "I put him down the stairs" which sounds like she was trying to minimize the situation. 

I just had a thought ~ maybe he grabbed onto her hair in an effort to keep from falling. I know, I've seen too many Lifetime movies!

Honored Contributor

I have a feeling she suffered some abuse from him through the years and she had pent up anger.  Now an adult, she had had it and just reacted when he slapped her.  Of course, no excusing abuse by anyone, but this happens when a child has been abused by a parent, and once grown, the parent does it again, eliciting this result.

Honored Contributor

She looks like Aileen Wuornos in the picture.

Respected Contributor

It's a hard fall from one time celebrity.

I am sure there are deeper issues, but my immediate reaction is that no senior should be manhandled.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I worked with a young gal who idolized Picabo ...she spoke of her all the time...she wanted to be just like her...on and on and on...

I wonder if she read about this incident...and what she thinks now...

I retired and she moved on so I don't see her any longer...

Honored Contributor

I checked around and the 911 call records her telling what he did to her, including a slap. 

'He pulled so much hair out of my head': 911 calls from Olympian Picabo Street after the fight with her father that led to her assault arrest

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I have a feeling she suffered some abuse from him through the years and she had pent up anger.  Now an adult, she had had it and just reacted when he slapped her.  Of course, no excusing abuse by anyone, but this happens when a child has been abused by a parent, and once grown, the parent does it again, eliciting this result.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think she was abused? According to the article I read she is the only one to have said she was slapped. Her mother, who was also present, said she is lying and the police seem to agree. 

I'm not saying he did, or didn't, but I wonder what makes you think she had been abused over the years.

Also, since the incident happened in front of her children, I wonder if they are considered witnesses. 

Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

It's a hard fall from one time celebrity.

I am sure there are deeper issues, but my immediate reaction is that no senior should be manhandled.

IF he assaulted her and pulled her hair out, she had a right to defend herself, senior or not.