Honored Contributor

Re: For those who DO get a flu shot

I've been getting the senior dose flu shot since they became available.  No adverse reaction thus far.

Respected Contributor

I've gotten a flue show since my early 30's........this past September, I stopped in at the pharmacy to get my annual shot......everything went fine.  After I got the shot, the person who gave it to me then told me she gave me the super shot since it was recommended for people my age.  I have never taken the super dose before since (luckily) I have no health issues or anything that makes my immune system compromised.  My doctor has never indicated that I needed the super shot.......anyway, I have had no issues with the shot, but sort of wished she had told or asked me before she gave me the vaccine so I would have made the choice and not her. 

Honored Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

I've gotten a flue show since my early 30's........this past September, I stopped in at the pharmacy to get my annual shot......everything went fine.  After I got the shot, the person who gave it to me then told me she gave me the super shot since it was recommended for people my age.  I have never taken the super dose before since (luckily) I have no health issues or anything that makes my immune system compromised.  My doctor has never indicated that I needed the super shot.......anyway, I have had no issues with the shot, but sort of wished she had told or asked me before she gave me the vaccine so I would have made the choice and not her. 

.........................My pharmacist told me (I am 65) that I would only need the quad if my immune system was compromised.  Some people still go ahead with it, however, if they are 65 or older.

Super Contributor

I received my over-65 flu shot for the first time this year and had no symptoms whatsoever!  Actually, it was a pharmacist who administered the shot and I didn't even have the usual sore arm for three or four days.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Why would anyone who gets reactions to flu shots be getting any flu shot?

To avoid the flu, which can be deadly. 

Respected Contributor

My husband and I (both working and in our fifties) typically get our flu shots at our local pharmacy around Labor Day every year. This year was the first time our pharmacist gave us the option of the "quad" instead of the regular vaccine but explained that our insurance only covered the regular one. I asked what the difference was and was told that the regular shot covered three strains of flu viruses while the quad covered one more. We figured if we were protected against 3 out of 4 virus strains, it was a pretty safe bet. I joked with my husband later that it would be just our luck that we'd be exposed to the one virus we'd not been given protection from. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Huh?  Tell the rehab you want him to have his flu shot before he is discharged. 

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I just heard about the double strength shot on tv.  My question would be, if some people react to the shot, then wouldn't a double strength have the potential to cause an even worse reaction?   And why would you want an older individual to risk a really bad reaction that could debilitate them to the point of possibly requiring hospitalization?

Because the vast, vast, vast majority of people at any age who have flu shots do not have bad reactions.  However, regular strength flu shots are not as effective on over 65 year olds because older people have weaker immune systems.  So, a logical persons would WANT seniors to have the stronger dose shot.  Even if a senior does have a slight reaction to a flu shot, it's better than dying from the flu....   

Honored Contributor

@Tissyanne wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Why would anyone who gets reactions to flu shots be getting any flu shot?

To avoid the flu, which can be deadly. 

Exactly..  I had mine yesterday & I can tell it today.  These small side effects only last a couple days.. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  Pardon the question, it may have already been asked... but did the doctor at the rehab suggest the flu shot for your father?

I agree with the poster who had the thought that perhaps he could get his flu shot there before he leaves?

Public places are so full of germs...his immunity may be down.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~