Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flood Victims in Louisiana

@Stray wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Imadickens

My Dad, who was in WW II, too.  And, agree, I would never donate to Red Cross but applaud all who donate.

I also remember there were problems with the Red Cross re collections and use thereof I think re 9/11, if I correctly recall.  But, there's also Catholic Charities and various church/civic groups that will, hopefully, set-up a donating process.

@eddyandme@Imadickens  The anger at the Red Cross was misdirected.  The US Army told the Red Cross to charge for lodgng, ciggies, and food.  The Red Cross did not profit from this.

@Cakers3- you are correct....the government got taxes too

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Ok. I did a little research and the reason was that the GI's were paid much more than other allies and that helped the RC in other countries provide for the servicemen. Even IKE made a comment to explain this to those who unjustly criticized the RC.

My nan who married my grandfather during the war used to say that all of the girls in her village wanted to date a GI because they had money to take them out. The Brits were very miffed at our guys.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I can not believe that most people did not have flood insurance living in a flood zone? Especially after the last  bout with flooding. 

@SeaMaiden

Yes .... I saw that only about 20% of the homes were insured by flood insurance.   What are people thinking?  Now they'll want government assistance, I'm sure.  

@You have to live in a designated flood zone to buy fllood insurance. It's not like you can call up Flo @ Progressive and get it because you think you need it.

As far as "government assistance", the Govenor will ask the POTUS to declare a disaster area. If granted, FEMA will offer low interest rate LOANS that get paid back with a nice lein on the property.

This was done almost immediately after damage was assessed.  FEMA is there and so is the SPCA.

I did animal rescue in NO for six weeks starting 3 days after Katrina.  The photos break my heart, I've seen it 'up close and personal.'

Greatergood(.)org is donating ALL their click funds to SPCA; clicking costs nothing.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

You know what would freeze over before the Red Cross would ever get a penny from me.  Salvation Army is the only way to insure your donation would actually go to the intended cause.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

You know what would freeze over before the Red Cross would ever get a penny from me.  Salvation Army is the only way to insure your donation would actually go to the intended cause.

@Tyak

You hit the nail on the head with that one!  Sally's is a very good, well-managed organization, helping people all the time, employing and rehabiitating people who need a hand also.

Honored Contributor

charitynavigator.org currently has four charities that they are featuring that are helping the flood victims in louisiana.

american red cross

convoy of hope

direct relief

united way of southeast louisiana

Thirty parishes expect to be declared disaster areas in the wake of the recent flooding in Louisiana.  The historic flooding resulted in the death of several people, and over 20,000 people have been rescued by first responders and the U.S. Coast Guard. Thousands of homes and business are damaged, tens of thousands are without power, 12,000 people are in shelters, and over one hundred roads are closed across the state.

Charities have stepped in to help in a variety of ways, from distributing bottled water and food to providing shelter to displaced victims. If you want to help, then consider making a monetary donation to one of the charities listed here.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=2281

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I've never heard of a WW ll soldier, sailor airman, marine dissing the Red Cross before.

@Lila Belle  The criticism came because the Red Cross provided 'comfort stations' to military personnel during WW11, but charged them for coffee and donuts.  My Father was always critical of the Red Cross for this reason.  People have long memories when it comes to unfair treatment of our military.

@gmkb  It was our own Army who told the Red Cross to charge for those donuts.

The anger was misdirected.

Hi @Cakers3.  Yes, my father was a WWII veteran and served in what was then the US Army Air Corps.  My father-in-law was a WWII veteran that served in the US Army.  I also have a total of 4 uncles that served in WWII.  They supported the Red Cross and donated routinely to the Red Cross over the years.  In fact, one of my uncles that is still alive volunteered for the Red Cross after he retired. So, there are/were many WWII vets that supported the Red Cross.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Imadickens

My Dad, who was in WW II, too.  And, agree, I would never donate to Red Cross but applaud all who donate.

I also remember there were problems with the Red Cross re collections and use thereof I think re 9/11, if I correctly recall.  But, there's also Catholic Charities and various church/civic groups that will, hopefully, set-up a donating process.

@eddyandme- there are no problems with the RC ....the PR problem with the Red Cross post 9/11 was that people wanted monies collected to go directly to 9/11 relief.  What people did/do not understand was that when the Red Cross responds to a major event or disaster all of their staff, support and supplies are directed to that event.  But, they need to restock and re train and reorganize in order to respond to future or even simultaneous events so whilst people wanted donations directed to 9/11 only, initially, it could not be done.  They resolved the PR issue and resolved the donation directions; there was no scandal or abuse of funds.  I was in NYC and worked as a volunteer in the respite two days after the towers went down until it was closed around Thanksgiving which was run and coordinated by the Red Cross.  David Boule provided the food to all of the thousands of aid workers/volunteers  and the RC absorbed the costs....they provided counselors for the many fireman/police/construction workers during recovery efforts as well as spiritual support.  The hotels provided sleeping areas but everything was kept clean by RC volunteers....they are also trained people who know how to deal with de contamination and special conditions where human remains are concerned.  They prayed with the special group of fireman who found human remains and handled each one with respect.  And, when the cadaver dogs burned their little paws, vets were brought in to help and they were given spa treatments at a NYC doggy spa paid for by the RC.

I am a nurse by trade but went as part of my Company's volunteer program and I was astounded by the speed with which they hit the ground running, stayed until way beyond the respite closing, the depth of services they provide and the professionalism and skill of their volunteer leaders.  Unless you work with Red Cross you wouldn't know just how excellent they are...I hope you never have to find out....but, they are dedicated people and often leave their paying jobs to help.  They rotate volunteers when they are onsite a long time so they suffer no hardships themselves...they also love what they do.  It is a fabulous, well run organization and essential during disasters because they do it best 

________________________________________________-

I totally agree with your comments to @eddyandme and @Imadickens.  I am a nurse as well involved in several community efforts.  

Approximately 4 years ago, a small town in Indiana not too far from me was decimated by a EF-4 tornado.  I took nursing students to the area to help with the recovery effort.  The Red Cross was on the scene early and it was amazing what they had already done.  We were totally impressed.  Even though relief efforts came in from all over the country, they staged through the Red Cross.  It was amazingly effective.  A disaster scene like that is total chaos.  It is so important to have one major relief organization that knows what they are doing and then coordinate the other relief efforts that come into play.  No single organization is perfect and none can work miracles, but they sure impressed me with the work they did in that area.  It was a great lesson for the nursing students.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Imadickens

@eddyandme- there are no problems with the RC ....the PR problem with the Red Cross post 9/11 was that people wanted monies collected to go directly to 9/11 relief.  What people did/do not understand was that when the Red Cross responds to a major event or disaster all of their staff, support and supplies are directed to that event.  But, they need to restock and re train and reorganize in order to respond to future or even simultaneous events so whilst people wanted donations directed to 9/11 only, initially, it could not be done.  They resolved the PR issue and resolved the donation directions; there was no scandal or abuse of funds.  I was in NYC and worked as a volunteer in the respite two days after the towers went down until it was closed around Thanksgiving which was run and coordinated by the Red Cross.  David Boule provided the food to all of the thousands of aid workers/volunteers  and the RC absorbed the costs....they provided counselors for the many fireman/police/construction workers during recovery efforts as well as spiritual support.  The hotels provided sleeping areas but everything was kept clean by RC volunteers....they are also trained people who know how to deal with de contamination and special conditions where human remains are concerned.  They prayed with the special group of fireman who found human remains and handled each one with respect.  And, when the cadaver dogs burned their little paws, vets were brought in to help and they were given spa treatments at a NYC doggy spa paid for by the RC.

I am a nurse by trade but went as part of my Company's volunteer program and I was astounded by the speed with which they hit the ground running, stayed until way beyond the respite closing, the depth of services they provide and the professionalism and skill of their volunteer leaders.  Unless you work with Red Cross you wouldn't know just how excellent they are...I hope you never have to find out....but, they are dedicated people and often leave their paying jobs to help.  They rotate volunteers when they are onsite a long time so they suffer no hardships themselves...they also love what they do.  It is a fabulous, well run organization and essential during disasters because they do it best 

________________________________________________-

I totally agree with your comments to @eddyandme and @Imadickens.  I am a nurse as well involved in several community efforts.  

Approximately 4 years ago, a small town in Indiana not too far from me was decimated by a EF-4 tornado.  I took nursing students to the area to help with the recovery effort.  The Red Cross was on the scene early and it was amazing what they had already done.  We were totally impressed.  Even though relief efforts came in from all over the country, they staged through the Red Cross.  It was amazingly effective.  A disaster scene like that is total chaos.  It is so important to have one major relief organization that knows what they are doing and then coordinate the other relief efforts that come into play.  No single organization is perfect and none can work miracles, but they sure impressed me with the work they did in that area.  It was a great lesson for the nursing students.

@pitdakota@Stray

IMO this is getting OT.  I understood this thread to be about a way of giving to those flood victims in need.  The way I see it if anyone wants to donate to the Red Cross that's fine with me - they're showing kindness to their fellow citizens.  But, how we choose to donate is everyone's personal choice.  This is not about the Red Cross! and, everyone is allowed to have their own personal feelings and beliefs.

Also, Stray, imo your comment about  hoping I'd never have to need them was uncalled for and totally unwarranted. 

I don't want to get into a discussion about the pros and cons of the Red Cross.  I'm not judging, criticizing, nor being unkind or trying to sway you from your heartfelt beliefs.  To each his own:  live and let live.

Trusted Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I usually support the Salvation Army. I know many servicemen from WWII who hated the Red Cross. My father, for one, would haunt me if I ever supported the Red Cross! However, I think anyone who give to legitimite organizations, including the Red Cross should be applauded! Those people in La. have certainly had more than enough grief! God bless everyone who helps them, and I pray God will hold them and get them through this hard time.🙏

I remember a lot of people saying that the Red Cross sold donuts and coffee to soldiers during WWII rather than giving those items away.  However, while this is true, it was because they were instructed, by the US Secretary of War,  to stop giving them away and to charge for them.

British Soldiers had to pay for snacks (not sure what organization) and the fact that the Americans were getting snacks free created tensions between the coutries services so the Secy of War decided the Red Cross had to charge too.

I remember that because I worked for the Red Cross many decades ago and we always got questions and, in some cases, some very hateful comments directed at us when we tried to collect blood in certain locations. It was a bad decision and unfortunately people remember that decision without knowing that the Red Cross was only doing what they were instructed to do.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

It is unfortunate, but we will need to steel ourselves for more of these events.  Those of us who will likely live another 40 years will experience coastal areas under water.  Low lying areas will become wetlands and eventually under water as well.  I follow several Mayors on FB and those in coastal areas are focused on flood control.  One was in the Netherlands to learn about their system to control rising waters. We need to get with the program and put some priority on this.  It's science, it's been predicted and it's happening now.

@Maudelynn  This was not coastal flooding; it was river flooding. Down here in the New Orleans area we deal with coastal flooding, but this was further north and west of us. Twenty inches of rain = rivers overflowing. 

@shoesnbags While it is true that this flooding was not coastal, Maudelynn makes a very good point.  Re-read - low lying areas will eventually become wetlands and under water as well.

The erosion/shrinkage/disappearance of coastal areas will make the non-coastal areas the new shorelines. 

Between rates of rising ocean waters, erosion from construction, and overall changes in environmental factors the flooded areas of Louisiana will not be due to abnormal rainfall in the next decades.

I didn't say that Maudelynn was incorrect about the problems faced by coastal areas, just pointing out that this current situation wasn't due to said coastal flooding. 

@shoesnbags- insurance is a choice and if you are advised it is not necessary and you are not in a high risk area, unless you have a lot of disposable income, you allocate funds to necessities and what you can afford.  I live in N Jersey next to the Hudson River and do not have flood insurance....I don't intend to ever get flood insurance because there has never been a flood in my particular town...

@Stray Several posters in this thread made comments referring to flood victims and their lack of insurance.  I wasn't one of them.  We get a lot more coverage on local news and I'm aware that many of these people were told that they didn't need flood insurance.   I think that maybe you read someone else's comment and thought it was me? 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett