Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flood Victims in Louisiana

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

let's concentrate on helping the victims however you see fit.  they are fellow citizens.

@ms traditional  I agree but everytime there is a natural disaster or some type of disorder in the universe there is always  a thread asking why QVC isn't talking about it or providing info or setting up a fund or doing something about it. 

I agree. 

After the last attack in France, (or maybe it was the one before, I forget) someone (I forget who) was belly-aching that QVC didn't have a banner at the top of the page expressing condolences for the victims.

Give me a freakin' break!

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

let's concentrate on helping the victims however you see fit.  they are fellow citizens.

@ms traditional  I agree but everytime there is a natural disaster or some type of disorder in the universe there is always  a thread asking why QVC isn't talking about it or providing info or setting up a fund or doing something about it. 

extending a helping hand is usually a good thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I can not believe that most people did not have flood insurance living in a flood zone? Especially after the last  bout with flooding. 

@SeaMaiden

Yes .... I saw that only about 20% of the homes were insured by flood insurance.   What are people thinking?  Now they'll want government assistance, I'm sure.  

@You have to live in a designated flood zone to buy fllood insurance. It's not like you can call up Flo @ Progressive and get it because you think you need it.

As far as "government assistance", the Govenor will ask the POTUS to declare a disaster area. If granted, FEMA will offer low interest rate LOANS that get paid back with a nice lein on the property.

Honored Contributor

for peace of mind, if you CAN get flood insurance get it, no matter where you live. check with your insurance agent and some can sell it to you or point you in the direction of an agent that can (via national flood insurance.) we had switched our insurance from nationwide to erie, but kept our national flood insurance policy through our nationwide agency (erie is not authorized to be an agent for that.)

prayers for all of those affected by the disaster.

"At the very least, those in south Louisiana who have gone without flood insurance for years will need to think hard about that decision, Donelon said. The recent flooding has made flood insurance a fact of life for all in Louisiana, not just those who flooded during Hurricane Katrina."

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2016/08/louisiana_flood_maps_rate_chan.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Flood Insurance Misconceptions

Floods are the #1 natural disaster in the United States. The National Flood Insurance Program wants consumers to know that while homeowner's insurance won't cover them against flooding, they can protect their home and property by purchasing a flood insurance policy separately through their local insurance agent.

Many people are under the misconception that they are ineligible for flood insurance because of where they live, or their mortgage status. But the truth is, as long as your hometown is an NFIP community, most homeowners, business owners and renters can get flood insurance. The NFIP urges consumers to remember the flood insurance basics:

• You CAN get flood insurance nationwide.
  • You CAN get flood insurance if you live in a floodplain or high-flood-risk area.
  • You CAN get flood insurance if you live outside a floodplain, or a low-to-moderate flood-risk area, - and at lower cost.
  • You CAN get flood insurance if your property has been flooded before.
  • You CAN get flood insurance from insurance agents in your area.
  • You CAN buy flood insurance even if your mortgage broker doesn't require it.

Armed with the proper information about their flood risk and protection options, consumers can make more informed decisions to protect their financial investments.

https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/media_resources/nfip_on_misconceptions.jsp

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I can not believe that most people did not have flood insurance living in a flood zone? Especially after the last  bout with flooding. 

Lots of very poor people can't afford insurance.  Those people really need help.

Another great group of volunteers is the Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief group.  They have huge semi trucks with supplies and kitchens and they'll set up and feed 30,000 meals in no time.  There is a story about the OKC group at http://www.news9.com/story/32801892/oklahoma-disaster-response-team-in-louisiana  A local man is on talking about a lady paying for groceries for him.  It is a good little news report, and the man was so thankful.  JUST what we were discussing here.

This was on the news last night and they are up and running now.   A lot of states have groups that do this.  They said the OK group can turn out 30,000 hot meals a day.I 

I forgot to say they also have a big setup to do laundry for relief workers to clean up and I believe others, and if I remember right they have shower stalls as well.  Can you imagine how good that would be to shower and get clean clothes?  

Esteemed Contributor

There's lots of waterfront property up here. I looked at a waterfront home on the market last year.

If you have a mortgage they will require fllood insurance. If you have no mortgage you can drop it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

@Imadickens

My Dad, who was in WW II, too.  And, agree, I would never donate to Red Cross but applaud all who donate.

I also remember there were problems with the Red Cross re collections and use thereof I think re 9/11, if I correctly recall.  But, there's also Catholic Charities and various church/civic groups that will, hopefully, set-up a donating process.

@eddyandme@Imadickens  The anger at the Red Cross was misdirected.  The US Army told the Red Cross to charge for lodgng, ciggies, and food.  The Red Cross did not profit from this.

@Cakers3

I do not believe my beliefs are misdirected:  it is what it is.  The Red Cross also "misdirected" monies in other situations, 9/11 for example.  I donate to charities that I believe highest percentage of monies go directly to aid and not used for 'administrative costs.  Therefore. we will just have to agree to disagree.

Honored Contributor

Contact your local Churchs, Police or Fire to see if they have Relief efforts in motion.  They usually do and you hopefully know the monies or donations will go where intended.  They have contacts throughout the country and always seem to help when and where needed.

If they don't, contact ones in the areas of the floods or fires.  Assistance is needed daily for so many.  If you don't trust any of them ... then walk away and don't judge. 

These people are only beginning their nightmare.  I pray they make it thru what is ahead for them. Perhaps you all could do the same.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

one area that might need help is local pet charities -  i remember that there were a lot of animals displaced/without homes after Katrina.  help however you feel appropriate if you can