Honored Contributor

Re: Flood Victims in Louisiana

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I can not believe that most people did not have flood insurance living in a flood zone? Especially after the last  bout with flooding. 

@SeaMaiden

Yes .... I saw that only about 20% of the homes were insured by flood insurance.   What are people thinking?  Now they'll want government assistance, I'm sure.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 and  @SeaMaiden the affected areas were not in  flood zone, its because of the extremely rain that this area was flooded so there wasn't any worries about flooding. Have a heart and sympathize with those who lost everything.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

It is unfortunate, but we will need to steel ourselves for more of these events.  Those of us who will likely live another 40 years will experience coastal areas under water.  Low lying areas will become wetlands and eventually under water as well.  I follow several Mayors on FB and those in coastal areas are focused on flood control.  One was in the Netherlands to learn about their system to control rising waters. We need to get with the program and put some priority on this.  It's science, it's been predicted and it's happening now.

@Maudelynn  This was not coastal flooding; it was river flooding. Down here in the New Orleans area we deal with coastal flooding, but this was further north and west of us. Twenty inches of rain = rivers overflowing. 

@shoesnbags While it is true that this flooding was not coastal, Maudelynn makes a very good point.  Re-read - low lying areas will eventually become wetlands and under water as well.

The erosion/shrinkage/disappearance of coastal areas will make the non-coastal areas the new shorelines. 

Between rates of rising ocean waters, erosion from construction, and overall changes in environmental factors the flooded areas of Louisiana will not be due to abnormal rainfall in the next decades.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

It is unfortunate, but we will need to steel ourselves for more of these events.  Those of us who will likely live another 40 years will experience coastal areas under water.  Low lying areas will become wetlands and eventually under water as well.  I follow several Mayors on FB and those in coastal areas are focused on flood control.  One was in the Netherlands to learn about their system to control rising waters. We need to get with the program and put some priority on this.  It's science, it's been predicted and it's happening now.

@Maudelynn  This was not coastal flooding; it was river flooding. Down here in the New Orleans area we deal with coastal flooding, but this was further north and west of us. Twenty inches of rain = rivers overflowing. 

@shoesnbags While it is true that this flooding was not coastal, Maudelynn makes a very good point.  Re-read - low lying areas will eventually become wetlands and under water as well.

The erosion/shrinkage/disappearance of coastal areas will make the non-coastal areas the new shorelines. 

Between rates of rising ocean waters, erosion from construction, and overall changes in environmental factors the flooded areas of Louisiana will not be due to abnormal rainfall in the next decades.

I didn't say that Maudelynn was incorrect about the problems faced by coastal areas, just pointing out that this current situation wasn't due to said coastal flooding. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Imadickens

My Dad, who was in WW II, too.  And, agree, I would never donate to Red Cross but applaud all who donate.

I also remember there were problems with the Red Cross re collections and use thereof I think re 9/11, if I correctly recall.  But, there's also Catholic Charities and various church/civic groups that will, hopefully, set-up a donating process.

@eddyandme@Imadickens  The anger at the Red Cross was misdirected.  The US Army told the Red Cross to charge for lodgng, ciggies, and food.  The Red Cross did not profit from this.

Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

I've never heard of a WW ll soldier, sailor airman, marine dissing the Red Cross before.

@Lila Belle  The criticism came because the Red Cross provided 'comfort stations' to military personnel during WW11, but charged them for coffee and donuts.  My Father was always critical of the Red Cross for this reason.  People have long memories when it comes to unfair treatment of our military.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

I didn't say that Maudelynn was incorrect about the problems faced by coastal areas, just pointing out that this current situation wasn't due to said coastal flooding. 

@shoesnbags  And I didn't say you said she was incorrect.  I merely expanded on what she said regarding the future of coastlines.  We all know the current situation was not coastal but eventually what is current will be the new flood zones. 

Sheesh.  It's just an interactive conversation.

Respected Contributor

let's concentrate on helping the victims however you see fit.  they are fellow citizens.

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

I've never heard of a WW ll soldier, sailor airman, marine dissing the Red Cross before.

@Lila Belle  The criticism came because the Red Cross provided 'comfort stations' to military personnel during WW11, but charged them for coffee and donuts.  My Father was always critical of the Red Cross for this reason.  People have long memories when it comes to unfair treatment of our military.

@gmkb  It was our own Army who told the Red Cross to charge for those donuts.

The anger was misdirected.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

let's concentrate on helping the victims however you see fit.  they are fellow citizens.

@ms traditional  I agree but everytime there is a natural disaster or some type of disorder in the universe there is always  a thread asking why QVC isn't talking about it or providing info or setting up a fund or doing something about it.