Respected Contributor

Re: Flood Victims in Louisiana

@Stray wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@eddyandme, I certainly agree it is anyone's right to donate to whatever organization they so choose.  However, hopefully through discusssion people have learned about the misdirection of anger at the Red Cross in WWII.  I wasn't the one that brought that up, but did respond that personal experience with WWII vets in my family didn't fall into that category.

So the thread did discuss the Red Cross.  And as stated, hopefully as posters have posted about the WWII situation and the Red Cross, people have learned about a misconception out there.  But in the end, it is up to people to decide what organization, if any, they choose to select for donation.

@pitdakota- you are correct....I was responding to the original post about 9/11 and the controversy re the Red Cross.  At no time did any poster direct someone to give or not give to any organization.  I think the purpose of this forum is to offer intelligent opinions and exchange information.   

I'm so glad to read of the corrections made by those here with regard to false claims about the RC.  I agree that folks should donate to the charity of their choice.  However, it's great to see something that's been stated on here time and again but was untrue, get corrected.

I hope the victims of this flooding get the help they need. I know for a fact that for many years the RC was a great help to many who suffered from floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.  My parents were on site volunteers for 16 years and I know how hard they worked to help those in need, including the earthquake of '89, Hurricane Andrew, 9-11, just to name a few.

Honored Contributor

Bought and dropped off all of our donations today (human and animal) for the truck heading out that way this weekend.  Still thinking of my fellow Tigers and hoping you guys are hanging in there.  You are being thought of and prayed for every day.  Heart  

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Regarding the discussion earlier in this thread about the Red Cross, there is an article in our daily newspaper The New Orleans Advocate today with first hand reports about the RC. Seems there are a number of unhappy folks, based on current actions rather than WWII stories. You can read the article at TheAdvocate dot com under "Top Stories."  I wasn't sure if I could post a link. 

@shoesnbags- The Red Cross is there # 1 as always.  I don't know this governor's experience with disaster relief but we have had our share  up here in NJ/NY metro; he should refrain from comments until he has the facts and understands process. It is the Governor's role to coordinate services in the State where a disaster occurs not criticize those who interrupt their lives to help; many are unpaid volunteers......The RC are experts in providing meals in disasters.  You can't just accept meals from people's kitchen as well meaning as people are.  The Red Cross only accepts meals from local contracted entities...the meals must be sealed, maintained at certain temperatures and the integrity insured.  You don't want food borne illness from contamination amidst a flood and the RC disaster managers are experts and observe strict health codes.  They also don't accept appliances, assistive devices etc if they are not needed as quarters are close and again can not be sure of integrity of the items for safety reasons and cleanliness.   The RC contracts with local agencies and at times, they may fall short and the RC can't be held responsible for their actions.  My dealings with them as a volunteer, recipient of services and a nurse, have been positive; they do a fabulous job today and no agency does it better.  My experiences are not based on WW 11 experience. 

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

Regarding the discussion earlier in this thread about the Red Cross, there is an article in our daily newspaper The New Orleans Advocate today with first hand reports about the RC. Seems there are a number of unhappy folks, based on current actions rather than WWII stories. You can read the article at TheAdvocate dot com under "Top Stories."  I wasn't sure if I could post a link. 

I read the article @shoesnbags and I actually think it is positive to bring those aspects to light.  In so many disaster relief efforts, well meaning people can just show up to volunteer or donate goods and don't understand the process.  I think this happens in most major disaster recovery efforts because people just want to help and don't understand the laws and regulations that the Red Cross must follow. 

As @Stray pointed out the Red Cross has to follow state laws & regulations especially with food service.  It would be horrible to have an outbreak of some food borne illness on top of everything else the evacuees are having to face.

In addition, they can't just have people showing up to volunteer to help people if they aren't on record as being certified as a volunteer for the Red Cross.  That holds for nurses and medical professionals as well. Unfortunately, there are many scams and people out there that just prey upon disaster victims and the Red Cross has no way of knowing that anyone that just shows up are legitimate or if they are unscrupulous and looking to take advantage of victims.  Sad, but so true.

Same holds true of someone showing up to donate towels, sheets, blankets.  They have no way of verifying the cleanliness of those linens, etc.

That is why they request you to donate money and/or sign up to be trained to volunteer.  

At the same time, I think it is helpful if the governor does look at any specific issues he has identified because  there may be some things that can be changed or a way to get the word out so people are more familiar with what they can or can't do to help.  I don't know....but I do know it is always good to evaluate what we do and try to learn, grow, and improve.

This is just such a massive undertaking.  It is mind boggling to think of the extend of the devastation in that area. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *