Honored Contributor

First female cruise ship captain

http://www.wsj.com/articles/what-captain-kate-carries-onboard-1441143004

Very interesting story.  Her father encouraged her from a young age.  I like the marbles being placed in secret spots for her friend.

Her home is in Las Vegas, from where she says jokingly, "all good sailors come from."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: First female cruise ship captain

Good for her!!  I love Celebrity cruise lines.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

It's refreshing; however, women still make less than men in any posiiton especially in higher positions.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I went on a cruise in Alaska in 1992, and the captain was a woman.  It wasn't a huge ocean liner.  It had about 80 passengers and was a nature-oriented trip.  It was a lot more fun than my Alaskan cruise on Princess.  The boat was a huge catamaran with crew quarters in the pontoons.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Two years before the Costa Concordia sank off the shore of Italy I was on the same ship, same route, same Captain.

When we reached Sicily he rammed the cement dock, thereby disabling the sonar mechanism.  We sat in port for 5 hours.  I had, had, had to be in Rome that night and so made other arrangements to move on.

Why was he still a captain two years later?  It's pretty disconcerting to look at those photos and realize the room I was in was underwater.  Poor people who were with him later.  May they RIP.

To my point, YEA!  to a woman captain!  WHOOP, WHOOP !

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Drythe, if they kept him after that, and heavens knows how many other incidences, they deserved what they got, beaucoup lawsuits.  Unfortunately people had to pay for their negligence with their lives.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have been on Princess Cruise Line with female captains.  Seems like a good occupation for women to hold.