Respected Contributor

@Dell1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Congrats!  Retirement is the best!  Two years ago I took a week's vacation, contacted Obamacare, signed up, went to Social Security, signed up.  When I went back to work, I gave my two weeks notice.  They were not happy, but I figure, if they were going to let me go, I wouldn't get any notice.  Starting next month, I'm starting back at the same job 8 hours a week just for some extra money.  Enjoy your retirement!

@hoosieroriginal, you post was spot on.  I am 65 and have let my supervisor know I have been looking into my pension amount and Social Security.  Last Thursday I was in her office and she said, Dell have you made your decision yet, I need to know if you are leaving?  She kept on badgering me and I replied maybe end of July this year.  I then told her to not say anything to anyone else.  She said, well we have to make plans to replace you.  I said that is over 3½ months away.  Very rarely do employees give 3½ months notice.  She was visibly irritated with me.  They can't even start interviews for my job position until the position is vacant.  I know it was my error to answer her question but I was so surprised at her reply.  She made it all about her and the office.  I have worked there 21 years.

@Dell1 - I'm so sorry!  Isn't it just like a business not to think of their employees.  You should never tell them you are even thinking of leaving until you are ready to give your notice.  That makes me so mad they would say that to you.  And even after 21 years!  WOW!  How inconsiderate!  Good luck - I think I would say "I've changed my mind", and then just hit them with a two week notice!

Valued Contributor

Congrats @Goodie2shoes!  Enjoy your new life!

Regular Contributor

@Goodie2shoes

congratulations!  Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Finally Did it !

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes, congratulations!! I also retired after being a nurse for 40 years, that was 3 1/2 yrs. ago now. Best day of my life. I have never looked back.

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations!  Have a wonderful, fun, restful retirement!!!

Honored Contributor

My last day my car was in for service so I had to ride the bus to work and DH was to pick me up at 3. Here it was all a ploy for him to be at my surprise party.  I have never been happier than since I retired. I finally have a personal life - something pretty much denied to me by a severely demanding job. If I had it to do all over again I would have done something like Physical therapy or speech therapy or maybe dietitian - still be able to work with nice patients but NOT have to work 24/7/365.

All best wishes on your retirement.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@Dell1 wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Congrats!  Retirement is the best!  Two years ago I took a week's vacation, contacted Obamacare, signed up, went to Social Security, signed up.  When I went back to work, I gave my two weeks notice.  They were not happy, but I figure, if they were going to let me go, I wouldn't get any notice.  Starting next month, I'm starting back at the same job 8 hours a week just for some extra money.  Enjoy your retirement!

@hoosieroriginal, you post was spot on.  I am 65 and have let my supervisor know I have been looking into my pension amount and Social Security.  Last Thursday I was in her office and she said, Dell have you made your decision yet, I need to know if you are leaving?  She kept on badgering me and I replied maybe end of July this year.  I then told her to not say anything to anyone else.  She said, well we have to make plans to replace you.  I said that is over 3½ months away.  Very rarely do employees give 3½ months notice.  She was visibly irritated with me.  They can't even start interviews for my job position until the position is vacant.  I know it was my error to answer her question but I was so surprised at her reply.  She made it all about her and the office.  I have worked there 21 years.

@Dell1 - I'm so sorry!  Isn't it just like a business not to think of their employees.  You should never tell them you are even thinking of leaving until you are ready to give your notice.  That makes me so mad they would say that to you.  And even after 21 years!  WOW!  How inconsiderate!  Good luck - I think I would say "I've changed my mind", and then just hit them with a two week notice!

LOL LOL LOL - my final yearly evaluation that was about 9 months before I actually retired , under goals my boss filled in for me that my goal was to make it through the days as I was counting down to retirement. However, her boss did not find it as amusing as she and I did. 2 weeks before my actual date I sent her a formal letter via e mail but she had known for a very long time that I was day to day, and as soon as I picked a date she was the first to know.

Honored Contributor

I'm late to the party @Goodie2shoes but I want to throw in my big Congratulations on your retirement.  Relax and enjoy!!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I'm saving my happy dance for the parking lot, and then a an Adios!