Honored Contributor

Re: Female TV News Anchors and Meteorologists Showing Too Much Cleavage?

Some just aren't getting it!  If the men didn't have to wear suits and ties then that would be equality but to have the men held to a different standard and finding it advantageous for the women to wear sexy clothing isn't right on any level!!

Esteemed Contributor

Then write to the news station and complain........but don't expect anything to change.

Respected Contributor

I agree, just change the channel....however, first, contact the network in writing and let them now why you will no longer be a viewer.  If they lose viewers, they will pay attention, the problem with just turning the channel doesn't give management a reason to why people are leaving.

I do the same for stores that don't treat their customers well - take your money elsewhere but be sure to let them know why you will no longer support their store.  They can't address why customers are leaving if they don't know.

I remember many years ago, someone was criticizing someone for wearing clothes too tight or too short...I heard a comediane say that if she had that body, she would walk around naked in the frozen food section!    So maybe that is why I wasn't destined to look like Marilyn Monroe - I would walk around naked all over town.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

i've heard about this, but never seen it yet. 

there is too much cleavage going everywhere and i think they want to show off what they bought.  lol

Esteemed Contributor

I grew up in a time where we had different clothing for different occasions.   School clothes, play clothes, Church clothes, Evening clothes, Work clothes, Office attire, beach wear, etc.  The lines of demarcation have blurred and it's an anything goes kinda world.

In many ways it's sexist and demeaning to women. It's telling the Newscaster the one thing she has going for her is her body, so use it.  I've unliked a few of my favorite newscasters because of their daily photos showing assets.  Why don't men wear tight skinny jeans and shirts unbuttoned?   Show me your degrees, certificates, notes, favorite interviews.  

I used to watch because I wanted to sew the news cast and stories, not your assets.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

My guess is women reporters are often told to wear seductive clothing.

It became a trend that began with Fox news.

Super Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

It's their way of showing a warm front is coming in?

LOL. There is one local channel that I think goes over the line when dressing (and hiring) the girls.  They all appear to be 18-20 year olds fresh out of high school. Their clothes do not cover much, are quite tight and often sheer enough to clearly see their bras.  It's the same all year round, so there is no way to tell from their outfits whether or not it is going to be warm. But we can sure see if they are COLD, lol. Cat Embarassed

The clothing doesn't bother me so much as their voices. .  A few of the girls sound shrill or almost squeaky. And they are more apt to say "um" and "it's like", etc.  This grates on my nerves.  I prefer to listen to softer voices from more mature women.  There's nothing wrong with people who like the younger girls. And there is nothing wrong with those of us who prefer something else.

I do change the channel, and am glad there are choices.

Esteemed Contributor

This recent news article is very much to the point - it's not about "changing the channel"....

Sexy News Anchors Distract Male Viewers

by Tom Jacobs

Scholars, critics and viewers have noted that some TV newscasts can be momentarily mistaken for Victoria’s Secret specials. In an apparent attempt to capture channel-surfing male viewers, stations have hired attractive female anchors, often outfitting them in attire that emphasizes their sexuality.

This strategy may boost the ratings, but in terms of the programs’ purported purpose — informing the public — recent research suggests it has a definite down side. Males may be drawn to those alluring anchors, but they may not remember what they were talking about.

Two Indiana University scholars report that, for male viewers, “emphasis on the sexual attractiveness of female news anchors distracts from memory formation for news content.” They found that “men’s cognitive mechanisms favored visual over verbal processing,” which is a delicate way of saying their focus — and subsequent memory — are more on the broadcaster’s appearance than on the material she was delivering.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Some just aren't getting it!  If the men didn't have to wear suits and ties then that would be equality but to have the men held to a different standard and finding it advantageous for the women to wear sexy clothing isn't right on any level!!

@Pook

we are getting it, dont worry.

we know how to make a dress look sexy (although i dont think showing cleavage, or a shorter skirt, or wearing a sleeveless dress is necessarily sexy). how do you want to make a suit and tie sexy (although i find men in a suit and tie sexy in and of itself.)

all of this is really a matter of  opinion. tell me what advantages a woman has if she is showing more skin than a man at a tv station.....in particular, a weather person, because we have both men AND women in our city.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

As one poster, in particular, pointed out several times, I might add,  we all know that we can change a channel.  So, no need to be snarky. 

The purpose of my post was that I simply made an observation that more and more female tv anchors/meteorologists are opting for plunging necklines with obvious over exposure.   I live in the NYC metro area and was curious if others (in other parts of the country) observed the same or similar with female tv anchors/meteorologists.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!