Esteemed Contributor

Re: Female TV News Anchors and Meteorologists Showing Too Much Cleavage?

@SahmIam wrote:

If you're going to show lots of cleavage, then the men should be able to show off their chest as well. 

The men must be in suits and ties so, IMHO, the women need to be in equally skin covering attire. 

Here's my question: is ANYTHING clothing wise NOT suitable anymore? If you use the excuse "oh., it's just skin, get over it you see it at the beach", then it's appropriate to wear a bathing suit to a funeral? How about sweats to a wedding (and we're not talking weddings that say wear sweats, ok?). If people had worn jeans and cut offs to the Kennedy Honors or to any WHite House Event, the attitude of "that's disrespectful" would have rung loud and clear.

Bottom line, yes, you can wear anything you want but SHOULD you? Is it appropriate for the job? What image do you wish people to have of you in said job (being real, it's what we do when we someone doing their job). Do I think they show too much? Some, yes. They look like they should be at a nightclub and that's not being professional (unless you work there).

I agree totally!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

AS far as the over exposed,evening out  outfits,mostly  seen  on the weather gals ,I always thought it may be because they were out late the evening before,had not gone home before work that morning  and just came straight to work in their" party dress" and were going home to sleep after the show.

But now,actually in mid January,comming in in sleeveless,low cut  dresses  causes me to wonder if it is hot in the studio ,They look very out of place.

They do it on QVC all the time !

edited to add: Do any of you ever get a look at the outfits on all the Spanish stations?  woo woo........lol

Honored Contributor

Because low temps where i live are in the mid-70's, I don't even notice the sleevelessness.

Interesting -  I'm turned off by women wrapped in heavy sweaters and scarves when they're indoors.  Makes me feel claustrophobic.

No idea why I react differently.  I just know I do.

Respected Contributor

IMO it is a management decision for ratings. I base my belief on the fact that I see this across the board... and if not cleavage-baring, then tight, clingy knit dresses that pull across the thighs so you can see anatomical outlines. I don't think that's attractive at all.

Honored Contributor

I am no prude about the female body, and I am all for women choosing to dress how they want. I'm not offended by legs or cleavage either. But I do still believe in certain professional standards. These women are professionals and sometimes it is distracting when you're watching the news. Our local stations often feature skin tight, cleavage, etc. I remember when it used to be long sleeve blouses and blazers. Workplace dressing has however certainly changed and standards have relaxed.

It is tv so it's all about ratings. And sadly tv news these days is much more about infotainment. I always do wonder why the men don't wear revealing clothing, interesting. Probably because the desired advertising demographic skews more male. I think it's largely due to competition from online news, apps, etc. That leads to tv doing whatever they can for viewership-be it fear mongering, weather hype, or revealing clothing.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

If a man dressed with his shirt open or a sleeves shirt - he would be gone.

Very unprofessional.

Honored Contributor

Women who talk sports are the worst!~  They have to be blond and wear short dresses or skirts and have big boobs.  Wonder what audience they are trying to captivate?????

Esteemed Contributor

There is no place for cleavage in a professional setting.I'm not a prude.I wear low cut tops but if I showed up to work dressed like that I'd be sent home!! Woman worked hard to be taken seriously.They should lead with their brains not their "girls"!! Yes, they should dress attractively but also tastefully!!

Honored Contributor

Cleavage doesn't change anyones intellect or education nor their abiity to perform their duties in news and weather. If their employers had an issue with the clothing, they wouldn't be wearing it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  Well said and great analogies!

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!